1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious - what do you think is going on here

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,512
    There is a field near my daughters school that appears to have had some sort of 'treatment' to kill almost all vegetation - and its a fair old size of a field. Now, I appreciate that there isn't likely to be much growing at this time of the year, but I would have expected to see it looking a lot greener than it is, with grass and weeds if nothing else.

If I recall correctly, it had a crop of barley last year, and oilseed rape the year before. I have taken a photo, but its a bit difficult to see just how grey and barren this field is looking - the verges around it on the roadsides are positively vibrant by comparison. The photo was taken through some trees and I had to stand on one side of a wee stream, so its not the best photo in the world, sorry.

Is there any agricultural reason that a field would be blitzed like this?

2014-01-28 15.05.06.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,722
    I know a field similar around here, I think it also might have grown barley last summer, it was sown late, and harvested very late.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,566
      I think it's probably natural die-back and all the rain has quickened the process. A crop field will have few weeds if any and the planting is annual of course. It'll probably be ploughed in a few weeks. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        It's part of the course to spray off weeds/previous crops before plowing and planting, but it must have been something hectic to have knocked it off at this time of year? Thought Gromoxone was banned now?

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,512
        There has been a fair bit of activity looking at the road in and out of one of the gates - the road is spattered with mud where they have been driving in and out, and its never usually like that. I was wondering if they were perhaps killing it all off to start building on it or something.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,177
        Surely they would have had to put up advance planning notices FC?
        Jenny

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,076
          It's quite common FC, they may well be leaving it fallow over winter, then they can blitz any weeds prior to sowing spring barley in the next couple of months.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +31,871
            As JWK and Zigs says , If it was combine late and wasn't fit you can get lots of seed out the back of the combine and then it regrows, if you grow Barley then Wheat you have to be carefull not to mix the crops because anything above 2% add mix you then start to get reduce prices, so they spray off any weeds and last years crops, start clean

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              It is - only in EU though I think, so Spuds you buy, if grown abroad, might well have been treated with Gramoxone to dessicate the haulms before harvest which, speaking for myself, I think is a worry. (We are growing main crop spuds this year, for first time in many years, to avoid that worry; for me main crop are: lot of space, hard to store as many start sprouting soon after Xmas, higher risk of blight)

I suspect that some other type of desiccating chemical has been used (at this time of the year, rather than Glyphosate) and just to clean the field before spring cultivations - although round here, on heavy land, they would have done everything they could to cultivate in the Autumn and avoid being on the land in winter. They may have sprayed it with flotation tyres - maybe even a quad bike - but getting on heavy land here with a plough / chisel anytime from now onwards, particularly given how wet this winter has been, won't do the soil structure any favours.

Crawler tractor might be ok perhaps?