1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting back penstemons

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by day dreamer, Jan 19, 2014.

1. day dreamer

day dreamer Gardener

Ratings:
    +117
    Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on cutting back penstemons as I'm confused! I seem to have read different things about cutting them, like in the spring or the autumn, but the one thing that stuck out was that I could kill them if I did it wrong?!!

So feeling a bit nervous about it, last year was the first time I've grown any and they were lovely so I'd like to make sure they stay as lovely!

Any advice on should I cut them back (does it make them flower better, stop them getting woody?) and when and how would be much appreciated! :)

2. JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,239
    I cut them down to ground level , leave last years growth on to shelter the new shoots from frost until spring.
    Although this winter the tops are still green & healthy due to the mild weather.

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    I cut down late spring when the new shoots are starting to bud, then give a top dress of old tomato compost which helps to protect the new shoots if we get a late frost.

So easy from cuttings taken in July August which I do ever-year just in case we have a bad winter as I tend to lose them where I live and the cuttings stay in the greenhouse under plastic bell cloche's.

4. day dreamer

day dreamer Gardener

Ratings:
    +117
    cheers guys, they're in a quite sheltered spot so still very green and bushy, but will hold back with the snips until later on :)

and I didn't know they could grow from cuttings, so need to have a go at that!

5. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    really easy as a member on here sent me some cutting @Scotkat material through the post.
    You need about 4 inches long , nip the top out to make it break buds all along its length strip off the bottom leaves about a two inches , place around the edge of a pot and put in a clear plastic bag , mine rooted in 3 weeks .

Spruce