Cutting branches of a Walnt Tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Kais, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Kais

Kais Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Is there a special way I should tackle cutting branches of my walnut tree? Should it be done in a particular season/month/condition? Is there a way to cut the branches and treat the cuts as it will be seeping water? Is it safe to cut it now as it has already started producing shells?

Basically the branches on the tree extend to far into the garden and neighbours courtyard. Where it goes into the garden the grass has died and masses of weed have taken over.

I appreciate your thoughts and tips.
    Pics below:-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    That is a beautiful tree, and I personally would look at the possibility of a shade tolerant woodland type bed under it before I cut at it.

There are some beautiful plants that would work very well underneath.

Being greedy I would look at taking out the entire corner of the garden and planting it up with some peonies, hydrangeas, hellebores etc

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Basicly if poss leave it alone and keep any pruning to an absolute minimum, make clean cuts leaving the branch union stub. Walnuts can only be pruned around July to October otherwise the sap bleeds.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    You leave me alone I don't need pruning I look good as I am.

5. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Kais,

Yes there is a certain time and way of pruning trees, and walnuts can react very poorly to badly undertaken work. An overall crown reduction and crown thin will deal with the problems you describe. If you're adamant that you want to reduce the crown spread but at the same time keep the tree healthy then I strongly suggest getting a professional arborist in who will know what limbs to work on, how much to take off and more importantly, will do it safely.