Cuttings... Is this this too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Wdyl, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Wdyl

Wdyl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi there,

I don't know much about gardening and have just been doing a lot of experimenting. A neighbour advised I cut back a rose tree after flowering which happened to be July (UK) I got three very large cuttings and loads of little... I think 13 total.

I shoved the three largest in the ground next to the original plant and potted up all the small ones. All of the large ones have new growth and all of the small seem to be living healthily outdoors in their pots.

Is this a good sign they will survive? To be honest I hadn't expected any success.

I also have 25 climbing rose seeds in the fridge, I don't know when to take them out. I know the success rate for seed growing is low, but truly hope I'm overrun with roses this time next year as I'm a bit of a zero budget gardener!

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Sounds great to me Wdyl :)

Yes indeed, they have “taken”

Hopefully, someone will advise about the seed you have......maybe Wiseowl ? I have no experience of growing roses from seed

• Like Like x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      Yes, they’ve taken. Green fingers, you! The ones in the ground, I would leave where they are until early next spring; then either pot them up or move to their permanent home, if big enough. They will continue root growth until winter sets in. With the ones in pots, have a look at the bottom of the pot and when the roots are growing through, pot them on.

You’ve done well, and shown yourself how easy to root roses are. Re seeds, they will only come true to the parent if it’s a species, I think but even then could still have crossed with something else.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,257
      Hello @Wdyl please be aware that if you’re starting seeds of a hybrid rose, the resulting plants/flowers are not guaranteed to resemble the parents. In fact, the odds are they won’t,this is the way that I used first is to put a handful of barely-damp vermiculite into a bag. The vermiculite should not be sopping but not dry either. Write the name of the rose and the date on a label and insert it into the bag. Put the seed into the bag. Put the bag into the refrigerator . Mark a date 90 days later on the calendar,90 days after sowing, take the bag out of the refrigerator and sow the seed in a pot. Label each pot or . You’ll start seeing germination in a week and it will continue for upwards of a month.Transplant the seedlings into their own flower pots when they have 4-6 true leaves and grow on until they are ready to be transplanted outdoors. (after all danger of frost). hope this helps:smile:

Transplant the seedlings into their own flower pots when they have 4-6 true leaves and grow on until they are ready to be transplanted outdoors. (after all danger of frost).

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Wdyl

Wdyl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +12

I do apologise ... I've basically said two seperate things in one post. The seeds were some I purchased online a while back and haven't even been stored thoughtfully so I don't have high hopes. They've been in the fridge about one month so I'll keep waiting then.

Thanks for all responses, I used the diluted apple cider vinegar instead of rooting hormone and have watered a lot with some "willow tea" that I have from a mass of willow sitting in a bucket. Can't say if either helped but I'm inclined to try again!

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,257
        Hi @Wdyl my friend no worries gardening is not an exact science ,just carry with the seeds and you may be pleasantly surprised and if I were you I would have a drink of the apple cider vinegar;) ,keep us updated,enjoy the rest of your day :smile:

• Wdyl

Wdyl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +12
        A small update... 0 success on the seed front, If ioI remember rightly onehone sprouted but I think it was left too long and too weak before being potted.

Cuttings wise... Pretty much all still alive but not a single flower, not even on the original flower that I cut back. Could my pruning have been too severe? Some of the little cuttings have black spots but I think all still alive!

• Like Like x 1
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,365
          No expert at all, like you I did some experimenting ..we have a very lovely small red rose near our greenhouse that I kept saying it was a shame not be in a more prominent place so I tried taking some cuttings. I had read somewhere that it was best to take longer cuttings, so mine were about 7-8 inches long . They remained healthy looking in a pot outside all winter,even putting on a little growth. I could never see any roots at the base of the pot though so earlier this year I gently 'investigated ' and found no root system whatsoever!!.As they looked healthy I returned them to the pot. Around May they put on a real growth spurt and a bud!!....and I found roots:yes:. Potted into a new pot and although still small we've still got 2 lovely red blooms.
          However.... I also took cuttings of a big pink rose that flowers all summer and grows tall, at the same time....likewise despite looking healthy it too hadn't developed a root system by February...so back into the pot. Still looks healthy but not growing at the rate of the red one and as of yet no sign of any buds..... I think patience seems the main thing needed with rose cuttings!!.I am hoping maybe next year the pink one will get into established growth. I have recently taken some more rose cuttings from my parents garden before we sell their property...I am very nervous and really hope they ..or even just a couple will prove viable. If all looks healthy....just leave be, that's what I was advised when I posted about mine at the start of the year. I'll cross my fingers for you. I would carefully remove the leaves with blackspot on. Here is a pic of my red one taken a month ago. IMG_20200622_180753_burst_01.jpg

• Like Like x 3
            Last edited: Jul 8, 2020