1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cuttings - Late Starting this Year

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Kristen, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I haven't taken any cuttings yet, I reckon it is later than I would normally take them - if that is the case any advice for increasing my strike-rate? I do have a mist bench.

Salvias
    Coleus
    (and probably some others like that which I have forgotten I take every year!)

in case I lose the Mother plants

I also want to take a shed load of Portugese Laurel

and some Dahlias (plants new this year which are not yet very big - both in case I lose the Mother plant, and because I doubt the Mother plant will make enough cutting material come the spring - I could do with, say, 20 plants next year [of each variety] and I have only one of each at present - bought to see if the colour was to my liking for next year's display :) )

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    I've been putting it off as it was too warm as far as I was concerned. I'll be doing a few next week.
    I replied to the Dahlia elsewhere IIRC.

3. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here longk,I did take half a dozen Deutzia cuttings,they've taken but struggled,I'd say now is a good time as the weather is cooler and more like a normal Summer.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    OK, I'll stop panicking! I wrote labels, and put them in plastic bags alongside the plants I want to take cuttings from ... so should reduce the "cut-to-pot" time ...

... put out rather a lot of bags & labels though :pathd:

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Reminder to self:

It would have been helpful if I had pinched out some shoots, say, 4 weeks ago to provide me with plenty of non flowering side shoots from which to take cuttings.

Would 4 weeks ago have been about right / too soon?

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      I find (depending on the species) that as long as you can include two or three leaf axils above the medium they will take just as well with the flowers pinched out.

I personally thought that it was too warm. Not one of my Fuchsia cuttings took.

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      I've taken fuchsia and weigela cuttings in the last few weeks and they've rooted incredibly quickly. I did however just place them in the greenhouse with some shade and kept an eye on them to make sure they didn't dry out. Normally I would put them in bags but I figured they would get too hot and humid??

If anyone (@Kristen ) manages to strike Portuguese laurel please let me know the secret, its one that always gets the better of me :scratch::snork:

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      I'm also trying the toothpick/cocktail stick method on some trickier plants this year, first time I've done this so we'll see how it goes :)

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      What's that Bilbo?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Sorry, I meant "Is 4 weeks ago to trim back plants to promote new growth ready for cuttings [in 4 weeks time, natch!] too soon/late/about right?"

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      Ah...............
      It would have been ideal I reckon.

• Like Like x 1
      • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        Its meant to increase the chances of rooting tricky shrubs and trees. You slice through the stem of the potential cutting just above the bottom nodes, then insert cocktail stick or toothpick to hold the cut open. It let's a callous form before removing the cutting, which is done in October or November, the cutting is then treated as normal for a hardwood cutting....hope that makes sensesens :snork: :)

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1