1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by gofoit2, Jun 3, 2005.

1. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Gone past the age of working so just enjoying myse
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some people are lucky enough to take a cutting, bang it into some earth and it takes off!! I�m not one of those people. I take a cutting dip it into hormone powder then tenderly put it into some nice new peat free compost, only to watch it die. Anybody know what I�m doing wrong please?

When I watch gardening programmes on the TV the compost they use looks as if it has a lot of sand in it, what is the best compost to use for cuttings? The other thing is when I water them the water runs right the way through the compost, so that must be taking some of the goodness out.

The plants I would like take cutting from are Clematis, Passion flowers and climbing Rose�s, I have a very long 6 foot fence with a 2 foot trellis running along the top, which I would love to have covered with flowers in the summer and greenery in the winter.

I�m on a fixed income so I cant afford to buy many plants, I�m new to gardening but I do find it very satisfying to grow your own plants, I think I�m getting the gardening bug�lol

Trevor

2. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like the compost is either too wet or too dry. If the cuttings are in wet compost they are likely to rot. The best way to avoid this is to mix the compost 50:50 with grit. Another tip is to wet the compost before you pot it up and dont let it dry out as it can be really hard to re-wet dry comost. Capillary matting is good if you have a lot of cuttings as you just water the mat and the pots (that you place on top) will suck up however much water they need. Dont pick up the pots though or you will break the water column and they wont start sucking up the water again unless you pour in some water at the top. There is a new product on the market called osmogrow (or similar)which works on the same principal but i think it might be a bit expensive if you are on a tight budget.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Too Mrs Cloudy excellent tips, I would add:

1. If you don't use grit use vermiculite or perlite - same basis 50/50 to help drainage

2. For the best results take the cutting from new growth rather than old, i.e the fresh young growth - except for roses which are better taken from quite long canes, and stuck in the ground and neglected.

3. Cut leaves of cutting in half to reduct water loss, and cover with a plastic bag, and keep in dappled shade til rooted.

4. Patience - they don't usually need goodness from the compsst, until they have roots which form at the leaf node, where you removed the leaves, just moisture.

4. JoMack

JoMack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hia, really good advice from the other two, I would just like to add that you can use a plastic bag as Fran suggested, or also plastic pop bottles can be used if you cut the bottom off and place it over the pot.

Good luck

JoMack

5. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Gone past the age of working so just enjoying myse
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you all for the great advice,
    I�m going to get some vermiculite or perlite, also some Capillary matting and try that, "Don�t pick up the pots though or you will break the water column and they wont start sucking up the water again unless you pour in some water at the top" some more good advice I was unaware of.
    I think your right with the over watering, I am a bit heavy handed, and what a great idea to use 1/2 pop bottles as small cultivators.
    Thank you all