DAB Radio

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kandy, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Is there anyone that can give me some information on the Roberts RD46 Dab radio.Mr Kandy and I have seen this one in Comet and as I need a replacement radio for when I am working in the garden or on the lottie.I have one of theose Bush ones like my mum used to have but it is a bit big to lug around the plots.

On the front of the box was a sticker that said that the battery was an improved one which means it will hold it's charge for longer than the old type:scratch::cnfs: We asked the salesman and he had a look on his computer but couldn't find any info as to how long the battery lasts for before it needs recharging.I have looked on the net and can find lots of good reviews but can't seem to find out about the battery life.I don't want to be over at the allotment listening to my favourite programmes and an hour after switching it on it dies on me.:help:

The Comet salesman did say that he thinks the life of the battery would depend on how high the volume was running at and whether it was being used in warm conditions:cnfs:. They have this particular model on offer for £34.99 instead of nearly £60

If anyone knows anything about this new technology Me,MrK and Santa Claus will be very happy as it is a Christmas prezzie for me,{As long as I am a good girl that is}:hehe:

2. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
  3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Why not go for a cheap and simple mini-radio that you can pop into a pocket and listen to through earphones. You'll get just as good, if not better audio and you'll have to worry about annoying other allotment users with the noise. I've one that I pop into my shirt pocket when in the garden, the batteries last for months and no one else can hear what I'm listening to.

4. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Capney,I have seen one review for those radios and the one I saw was quiet good but the review you have put up says the sound is tinny so might leave it.I googled for the batteries and I see they are those big ones.Thanks for your help:)

Dave the T,shirts and jog pants I wear don't have pockets for a radio so even if I had an MP3 player I wouldn't have anywhere to put it.I have had a couple of those Bayliss wind up radios but the arials kept snapping on them.

I bought a cheap £9.99radio from Tesco's a few months back but the dial where you tune in to other stations packed up and wouldn't turn.I couldn't find the receipt to take it back so Mr Kandy decided to try and mend it but the piece of cotton that has come adrift inside,Mr Kandy can't trace where inside it goes to fit back on the wheels.Due to ill health and work commitments he has had to leave it for the time being so I have stuck the whole lot in a plastic bag until such time thta he can spend the time fiddling with it.I was a bit annoyed when it packed up because the batteries hadn't even run down the first lot of batteries....Thanks for your advice:)

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Looks like you'll just have to sing to yourself Kandy:D

6. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,163
    Buy a wind up radio? No batteries as such to worry about then:)

7. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Just caught up with this thread Kandy, and would just like to add that we have been using DAB radio for several years but running off the mains though.

DAB is probably not worth considering now if you are thinking of buying, as it has no positive future and may well be doomed now that the best programmes have been taken off and lacks any real support and commitment.

This was the situation 6 months ago and I suggest anybody considering buying DAB, please read this first:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/29/grant_goddard_drwg_analysis/

8. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Kandy, I missed this thread originally too?? Have you got sorted yet?

I have to agree with DAG, I nagged my husband for a DAB radio (there are about 20 ordinary ones to listen to one way or another throughout the house!) because of the different stations it offered, in particular 2 story telling stations and I love listening when I go to sleep or ironing. Both stations now gone plus the radio doesn't even take batteries - that's our fault for not paying enough attention though!

If you are not sorted, seriously consider (unless at bedtime) something with earplugs like your mobile phone or an i player or something. If you don't have pockets you can always use an old style mobile holder, you know with a belt clip thing on. You can usually wiggle the item you use into this and get the wires out and in place.

I hope we've been some help Kandy and please let us know what you went for in the end.

cheers

9. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I got a DAB radio for Christmas, I can get local stations and Classic FM only. Any ideas as to why I can't get Radio 2? We go digital this year so will things improve?

10. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,925
  11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,348
    Could someone explain to me why all DAB radios tend to look like something from the 1940s:scratch::D

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Oh they don't have to Pete as long as you're willing to pay mental money! I love the look of the old ones myself but as I've said, I'm not too pleased with what you get, same as car radios with all the added stuff! Old cost more apparently!

cheers

13. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Roders I went on the website and it said there were no stations in my area at present! What a hoot!!

14. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thanks foir the link Roders,very interesting although Mr Kandy managed to get mine set up ok.:thmb:

This is the one Mr Kandy bought me for Christmas after I had chosen it that is:hehe:

[​IMG]