1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Daffodils without flower heads

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by betty, Feb 18, 2005.

1. betty

betty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know why some daffodils grow without producing a flower? Can anything be done to promote flower heads for next year?

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know if it's an old wive's tail,could it be that they were picked last spring? I must say I picked a few, but they still keep flowering. They are so tighly packed so no weeds could grow. Planted then 12-15 " down, to plant bedding plants all summer and never lifted them and the Daffies get fed all simmer. Been there now 24 years and have more flowers then ever.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,725
    Betty
    are they new bulbs planted this year?

4. Taff

Taff Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Betty, I think the reason why your daffodils haven't flowered is because the leaves were not left to die back after the plant had flowered. ie somebody had removed the leaves after the plant had flowered.At this time we should also give the plants a feed so that the bulb stores energy to produce plenty of flowers for the following season.

5. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I too have a problem with "missing daffodil heads"......found the cause yesterday by accident - my labrador pup has taken to biting them off!!

6. davemachin

davemachin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Next years flower is produced immediately after this years has died off. To help with next years flower liquid feed for a few weeks after this years flower starts to die.
    Dave

7. foxtrot

foxtrot Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I lost all my daffodil flowers in my rough grass after a 'helpful friend' mowed the grass for me and mowed all the daffodil leaves as well. You have to put up with the brown and dying leaves to put the goodness back in the soil, or so I'm told. Mowing is an instant killer.