1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Daft question about winter bedding plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Star Jasmine, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Star Jasmine

Star Jasmine Gardener

Ratings:
    +62
    I've never planted winter bedding plants before. I'd like to make up a winter hanging basket but I've got one of those "easy fill" baskets with holes in the sides for plants to poke through.

I've watched a video on how to make the baskets up but my question is... if I plant up some violas and pansies in the baskets, will they actually GROW over the winter or will they stay the same size? Because if there's not going to be much growth the baskets will look a bit bare.

Sorry, this feels like a really stupid question. :(

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    They won't put on much growth Star Jasmine at least until early spring but you could always bulk it up with 2 or 3 small Ivys to trail over the edge:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Star Jasmine

Star Jasmine Gardener

Ratings:
      +62
      That's a great idea - thank you! I followed your advice and picked up some winter bedding plants - pansies and violas - as well as a couple of small Hedera Gold plants for each basket and a dwarf evergreen shrub for the centre of each as well. Going to make up my first ever hanging baskets today - can't wait. :)

• Like Like x 2