1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dahlia advice please

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by lizzerti, Sep 14, 2014.

1. lizzerti

lizzerti Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Posted the same post in wrong place maybe? Bought some straggly, nr dead dahlias yest, marked down in price. Will they die off and not return next year? One is v tall and the others are small and mixed. No labels.[​IMG] Think i may have been swizzed now :(

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,177
    Have you tapped one out of its pit to see if a tuber has been formed? If not, then I think you are on a hiding to nothing to be honest,
    Jenny
    ps , I'm itching to get the secateurs out and do some deadheading.

3. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,495
    Got to agree with Jenny - those flower heads that are bent forward are all spent blooms (the easy way to tell the difference between spent blooms and forming blooms with a dahila is that the spent blooms are more pointed like those in your picture - the buds that are forming new flowers are more round/ball shaped ;)) - - they want whipped off as soon as possible really, as they are taking energy away from the plant at the time when it is about to start putting its energy into the tuber for storage for next year.

I would have all of them out of their current homes and pop them into pots slightly bigger than the rootball and then keep them watered until the first frosts arrive - - the foliage will then blacken and die back at which time you take the tubers out of the pots, clean them off and dry them off and store them in a cold, dark place over the winter; if you can dust them over with sulphur it also helps prevent fungus and decay.

Dahlias in their second year from tubers generally seem to perform better than those grown from seed that year - at least, that is the case for me.

Be warned - dahlia growing is addictive!

4. lizzerti

lizzerti Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Hmmm...bit befuddled now, as I thought those bud-like things were to become new blooms. So I have to cut them off? Took one plant out of plug, and it looks like it has regular roots, however, i don't exactly know what a tuber looks like though. Is it like a bulb? I will put in separate pots as you suggest. I can see how dahlia growing is addictive, they can be stunning and have admired them for ages. Here's pic of the v tall white one I bought.
    Thanks Jenny and FatController for the advice. [emoji259] [emoji261] [​IMG]

5. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi lizzerti, the tubers look a bit like a potato, which is also a tuber.

• Like Like x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,692
      This shape chop off -
      [​IMG]

This shape leave on to bloom -
      [​IMG]

Typical dahlia tuber [starting into growth] after year 2(ish!) -
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        If I am reading the label correctly and they are Dahlia Diablo Mix then they are a bedding Dahlia, and normally grown as an annual. Any tubers that you are able to store over winter can be grown on next year, but as they are smaller than regular Dahlias (20" tall say) they don't produce as big a set of tubers as their bigger cousins. Personally I would pot up and try to keep them going for as long as possible (i.e. greenhouse / conservatory as nights start to get colder) so that they period that they are dormant is as short as possible. They can be started off again, with some heat, in February.

• Like Like x 1
        • lizzerti

lizzerti Gardener

Ratings:
          +28
          Thanks to all. I've learnt so much from your comments & pics. Have started to pot them up & hope to complete the rest aft work tomorrow. Yep, Kirsten, tray marked Diablo mixed. An annual; does this mean they only last 1 year and not back following year? I thought dahlias were perennial...to keep in pots or dig up and store -guessing it's a matter of preference and what's more effective perhaps? [emoji10]

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          They are, but "Bedding Dahlias" are typically grown from seed, and then binned at the end of the season - probably because they can more easily ?? be grown from seed than the time & space and effort of overwintering the tubers (given that that type of Dahlia only make small-ish plants). I expect yours will be fine, over wintered (plus if there are any specific colour combinations of leaf / flower that you like they will stay true by over wintering (and by taking cuttings in the Spring, if you want more of them), whereas from seed you get Allsorts.

I think your only real risk is that because they are small, by nature, that their energy reserves in the tubers will be less than full-blown Dahlias and that might mean that they struggle to survive, particularly if we have a long winter.

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
          • lizzerti

lizzerti Gardener

Ratings:
            +28
            Thanks Kristen and all. Here's my dahlias, all preened and potted. I haven't trimmed where there are flowers and I see a ball shape or two..so more flowers coming. Fingers crossed I can overwinter successfully. Prob move pots into conservatory soon. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1