1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dahlia leaves

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by chalkie, May 9, 2021.

1. chalkie

chalkie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello can anybody advise as to what is happening to the leaves of my dahlia they seem to be turning black. They have been inside, then I put it outside when the forecast of frost had passed. Since then the leaves are going black. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. dahlia leaf.jpg dahlia1.jpg

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

When you put them outside did you give them any protection such as an overnight covering of fleece etc.

Though there might not have been a frost, the temperature difference between inside ( your house or greenhouse?) and outside may have been too much for them and caused the blackening.

As its now turned much warmer, just keep them outside in a sheltered spot away from strong cold winds and cover them with fleece or even newspaper if its forcast below 5c overnight.

Would leave those leafs alone, should be ok .

Give them another week in that sheltered position before planting out, if these warmer nights continue.

• Like Like x 1
    • chalkie

Ratings:
      +4
      Thankyou, its my first time growing Dahlias. I will follow your guidance.

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        You do not mention the variety or height they are expected to grow to, but you will need to use a strong stake and wire/string etc for the taller ones as they can flop over if there are strong winds or simply too heavy with flowers ! Do keep dead heading them to keep them flowering.
        We often grow the dwarf types, under 2ft, which self support.

• chalkie

Ratings:
        +4
        It's Cafe au Lait, think it will be on the larger size. I will stake as well.