1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dahlia problem

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by paultall90, Jun 2, 2022.

1. paultall90

paultall90 Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi
    Grown from tuba and planted out about 2 weeks a go but less than a foot tall and starting to bud. This was supposed to be around 3 foot tall. What's wrong and what can I do?

Attached Files:

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    Two answers come to mind.
    Try something from the woodwind section, or....
    Don't worry about it, it'll get taller through the season and subsequent years as the tuber gets larger

• Funny Funny x 5
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,161
      It looks much more advanced than mine, it's early days for dahlias. You have nothing to worry about.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Jenny Cambridge

Jenny Cambridge Apprentice Gardener

Freelance Publishing
        Ratings:
        +11
        I had this happen on two different plants. First was Penhill Watermelon. It bloomed, then grew loads, then bloomed more. Your plant looks healthy and that might happen. You could try pinching off the early flowers. If you have not pinched out tips of growing shoots, you can do that now - it encourages branching and more flowers. My Penhill W is going strong 3 years later and a large over 1m plant -- second year it was very late to flower compared with others. Don't know why! Maybe it is temperamental.

The other plant it happened on unfortunately turned out to be some rather plain short orangey-red bedding dahlia, rather than the Art Deco dahlia I had ordered. I got a refund... In my experience about 30% of dahlia sold are not true to type you ordered - wherever you get them from.

Also, some dahlia are very early flowerers. Totally Tangerine usually going in June for example.

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
        • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
          Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
          Ratings:
          +6,780
          My Dahlias are just through the ground. At least some are. The rest are still to show.

• paultall90

paultall90 Gardener

Ratings:
          +7
          Thanks for the reply.some good information. I was going to nip out the bud but think I'll leave it and see what happens

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,793
          I have a lot of a particular variety, some are a bare inch out of the ground, others about 2ft and budding. Think it's just a weird year but you simply need to give the tuber time to beef up