1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dahlia!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kriss, Apr 11, 2018.

1. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    My first dahlia! Is it ok for there to be two main shoots growing from the tuber? Or should I remove the smaller one?

Attached Files:

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    You can leave them intact or pinch out the tips of the taller shoot. It will be fine either way:)

3. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I would keep both - but then, I'm an optimist and only have two years of experience to draw upon :redface:

Both look very healthy!

How old is the tuber?
    Is it one you have over wintered? Or, one you have recently bought?

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,991
    Leave both if you want more flowers.
    Probably an exhibionist would just keep the one strong one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
      +79
      It was a small tuber from s cheal multipack in home bargains! I’ve planted a few up.... umm... the ones outside aren’t growing so I’ll bring them in!

Is that single, humble tuber going to make a decent shrub this summer?

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Thank you for clarifying :blue thumb:
      If the ones you have had outside haven't already succumbed to a hard frost, bringing them indoors might just be the saving grace. However, don't hold your breath :sad: Much depends on how cold your overnight temperatures have been.

If successful, yes, that one single, humble, tuber would indeed put on a good show this season.:dbgrtmb:

Just something to consider though: I've bought tubers from el cheaper shops this year (first time too) and, so far, the multi packs (e.g. those packs with 3 in) are doing great - the single one is a massive fail as far as I can see. Very much a hit and miss affair!

Do bring in the ones you've planted outside and keep :fingers crossed: that the colder night temps haven't set them back/killed them off.

As for the one in the picture, continue to nurture it and it will reward you with multiple blooms later in the season :thumbsup:

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Yes Kriss but pinch it back a little.
      To repeat, keep both shoots.
      Temperatures are on the rise now and those shoots will grow quickly now. I would repot when the roots fill that pot to keep it growing well. By summer you will have bushy colourful plant :)