1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dahlias in containers.

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by robbo, Apr 5, 2020.

1. robbo

robbo Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Wanting to grow some in containers but what's the best way to get started, have no where to start the tubers off no greenhouse, been reading and watching info where there not to be planted out till no chance of frost, where I live theres still a chance in may, is there anyway I can plant them into containers and then use some protection when frost is forecast, dont want to be putting them outside to late as when they flower summer will be nearly over. Cheers

2. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,664
    Hi robbo, you can start them indoors. I'm about to pot up my overwintered ones today, they will start off in kitchen windowsill and in about a month I will start to harden them off in a sheltered spot. They should be ready to stay out in late May.

Dahlias do very well in containers year after year. Spectacular plants :)

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Can you bring them in the for the night? Garage, garden shed or similar. Bit of a faff, and important not to forget on a cold night :snooze:. They can stay in the garage / shed (or somewhere even warmer if you have it) until the tubers' new shoots are "above ground"

4. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Just a tip or two.

The practice of starting tubers off in trays etc is mainly to aid earlier shoots providing cuttings material. The tubers should be planted with the top of the old stem just showing abobe soil level, either in containers or the open ground.

New shoots grow from close to the base of the old stem and the top of the tuber. Avoid slicing the shoot off at the tuber. Cut the shoot between a joint and above the lower joint. This will enable the original shoot to grow again.

Care is needed to ensure containers are well supported and won't blow over, perhaps especially with some dahlias as they often make such a lot of heavy top growth. Hope this helps.