Dahlias in Doors!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kriss, Mar 14, 2019.

1. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    I planted up my dahlia tubers 2-3 weeks ago and most are up and running!!

There’s lots of shoots popping through though so some are looking bushy! Is this ok? Should I leave them alone or perhaps cut back all but 2 or 3 main shoots to encourage better form?

Thanks

6C7DEBF1-C237-4AF1-A751-E3479A564763.jpeg

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    No, leave them be Kriss :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Hi @kriss , leave all the shoots on but once they have grown 3 or 4 pairs of leaves pinch the growing tips out so they make side shoots ( and therefore bushier plants and more flowers ).

Also, the growing tips can be used as cuttings therefore increasing your stock.

• kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
      +79
      Some are growing tall and slender, others bushier which I can recall them being like last year.

Er.... where do I start with pinching them out?!

F66A772F-5B1F-4A20-B323-56350C789269.jpeg 47903803-9751-4595-84B5-50B45325AD37.jpeg

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Ah yes Kriss! Some are leggy aren’t they? Warm and well watered I guess! :) Mine are all in a cold gh or outside so not as advanced as yours are:)

Not crucial where you pinch back but all stems can be pinched back at least half way to just above a pair of leaves. You can use the cut off shoots as cuttings if you wish.....a simple free rooting compost (with added perlite or grit) in a polythene bag cover will do the trick :)
      If you have large clumsy hands like me you can use a pair of sharp scissors or sharp knife instead of pinching between finger and thumb :)

• Like Like x 1
      • kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
        +79
        Are the bushy ones bushy because those were the more mature tubers? Could I have divided them?

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Different varieties really Kriss .....dahlias can be tall, short, vigorous or slow growing. I have them here at over 2 metres tall and some just over half a metre. Some I divide every year and these make huge clumps of tubers.
        Nothing really you can do to affect their dna !!
        Do you have labels depicting varieties? These labels will advise you as to their expected size and vigour :) If not, you will learn this year which are the vigorous types etc and you can then plant accordingly next year:)