1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Damage to Apple Tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by The Wizard, Nov 20, 2020.

1. The Wizard

The Wizard cos I've got magic fingers

Ratings:
    +111
    High winds have caused damage to one of the branches of my 7yr old apple tree and left what I can only describe as an "open wound" to one of the branches where it has broken off.

I removed the broken part from the connecting branch before it becomes rotten but I'm concerned about it now getting infected especially now over the cold, frosty winter months and didn't know if there was anything I needed to do like cover the exposed part to avoid it becoming bad or infected and then possibly affecting the rest of the tree.

Do I just leave it as it and allow nature to do it's thing is or do I need to cover the exposed part with something? Any advice appreciated. See photos attached.

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    Just cut it back to the joint where the other branch is.

I don't think that they recommend sealing cuts these days and best to just let it mend on its own.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      I agree with Pete the only thing i would add is remove the grass from the base of the tree ...you will be surprised how much water it takes up in the summer and nutrients