1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Damn mole digging up my new lawn

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by TheMadHedger, May 14, 2020.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    One area that I seeded a few weeks ago has been growing really nicely. What do I find today? Blasted mole hills! Six small ones. I'm so incredibly annoyed.

I've set two scissor traps, looks like a particularly small mole going by the size of the holes (and of course I've had to make even bigger holes in order to insert the traps).

If anyone has any mole hunting tips, tricks or traps to recommend please let me know. :)

(I should say that I'm used to having intermittent moles on my old, main lawn - sometimes I catch them with a scissor trap, sometimes not and they eventually bugger off elsewhere).

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,379
    I use a Detaupeur if necessary. Effective, not intrusive and very much more instant and humane. It seems to keep others from moving in if you leave the corpse in the tunnel :sad:

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks, never heard of a Detaupeur before. Just looked it up (saw a French YouTube video) - so basically it kills the mole with an explosive? Where can I buy one in the UK? Or is there a UK equivalent?

Also, I see it needs refills? Not sure why an electronic device would need a refill - special, unique batteries perhaps?

Edit: I see now that it uses a small explosive device. That's certainly novel!

Edit2: I now see that these are apparently illegal in the UK due to the use of the tiny explosive device. This is strange because fireworks are presumably far more dangerous yet you can buy them in the shops ..... maybe I can rig up a few bangers to an electronic switch? ;) ;)

Edit3: A similar idea but from America, the Molecat:

Illegal in the UK of course. We can kill vermin with air rifles, shotguns and the like but a blank cartridge? Definitely not allowed for some weird reason .....

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  4. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    I've just been reading about some mole deterrents:

a) Some dead bramble (must be dead as you don't want it to grow!). Stick it in the hole and the mole goes elsewhere. Holly leaves can be used instead.

b) Dog poo - again, shove it on the hole and the mole isn't happy so sods off elsewhere.

If I don't catch it tonight I'll try both methods - dead brambles, holly and dog poo are in plentiful supply where I live. :)

My only concern is that the mole will just dig another tunnel and more holes elsewhere in my garden ....

5. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,335
    @TheMadHedger
    Moth balls in the tunnel, probably nicer to handle than dog poo, unless you have a very well trained dog. Hose pipe down the tunnel and flood them out. Have heard of people just persistently stamping the mole hills flat. Ferret, mole catcher who could gas or poison them.
    I did see somewhere that Euphorbia cuttings in the tunnel deters them.
    Personally I'd rather have the moles than a neatly manicured lawn and unlike many creatures they won't eat the plants.

6. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Re dog poo. You could do this yourself thereby cutting out the middle ...dog also you may not have a dog so this would be the answer. Explaining actions to neighbours would need to be done carefully.
    We had a mole visit our lawn many years ago. Fortunately it left after a couple or so days. We regarded it with interest. Our garden is for us and shared with nature so it was not a real problem.

7. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks for the additional tips hans and NigelJ - I've heard of the use of mothballs and was in fact considering the 'flood the tunnels' approach after reading about it a few hours ago.

My only 'concern' with using a deterrent of some sort is that the bugger will just dig holes elsewhere in my newly seeded lawn. It didn't set the traps off last night.

I've no interest in a neatly manicured lawn, my lawn is 'rough' at the best of times, but I still object to mounds of earth appearing which need to be cleared and which then also encourage my dogs to dig holes. The lawn is bumpy enough as it is!

I'm especially annoyed about the little bugger digging in my newly seeded lawn - again, it will be a bit rough and ready, but it's really annoying at this early stage when the grass is new.

Last edited: May 15, 2020