1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Damp area ideas needed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I'm ashamed to admit this, but I have got a mental blank (probably from thinking about it so much) and need inspiration. I've been developing a dappled shady area of the garden that gets quite damp in winter (like now!) - I've got a Cornus there, a few ferns and the ubiquitous willow tree, plus a few logs for any wildlife that might like to lurk under them (there are several frogs in the garden).

So...now a bit stuck. Any ideas for me - nothing that will take up a huge amount of room and it needs to be slug proof, so that's hostas out (shame, as they'd be perfect).

Ta

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :wink: Aaron in my shady area I have got...
    Ferns like you
    Hellebores
    Spring bulbs
    wood anemones-anemone nemorosa
    Bluebells
    Snowdrops which are out now
    Foxgloves
    Cranesbill
    Common daisies
    A hardy geranium on one edge
    Oh & a bit of speedwell too otherwise that is about it, but there is always something to look at.. So hope there is a bit of inspiration, there are plenty of sites where you can buy wildflower plug plants cheaply too now, so good luck..!!:gnthb:

3. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Marlwey Farley's said it all!:thumb:

Chris

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Cheers - now that you suggested a few ideas, I recognise them as suitable! As I said, brain stopped working for a bit.

Another one I am going for is Astilbe.

5. The Rockhopper

The Rockhopper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pachysandra terminalis is ideal but it does need keeping undercontrol to prevent it spreading too much

6. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Another worth considering is Gooseneck loosestrife (Lysimachia clethroides). I was given some plants a couple of years ago as thankyou for helping on a friend's garden at Hampton Court. They now grace the shady side of the pond. The flowers are white and make a change from the normal purple loosestrife.

Chris

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Just googled it and looks very good, although not seen it for sale much. I think another trip over to Perryhill Nurseries in Hatfield is called for!

8. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Ah, Perryhill Nurseries!:yho:I bought my wife a Clerodendron trichotomum from there a couple of years ago. At first she referred to it as a very nice twig but last Autumn it came out in all its glory. Unfortunately it's not suitable for the area you've described Aaron, but worth a look if you've got somewhere sunny for a smallish tree. It's quite spectacular as the fruit is a small bright blue drupe framed by a reddish leathery calyx.
    [​IMG]
    Chris

9. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Candalabra primulas, they self seed when established so you get a sea if them (there easy no weed out if you dont want that)
    Zanedeschia crowburugh(a little slug prone but not too bad)
    Ligularia (theres lots of choice now) I think the rocket is the best green leaf and there a lots of great dark leaves ones, desdemona and othello for example. They are really dramatic big but not enourmouse.
    Cimicifuga is cracking and I an testify fairly hardy as mine is alive.
    If you can hunt one out Salix exigua a really beautiful silver leaved shrub.

10. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Cheers.

I had two Ligularia 'Desdemona' last year that got stripped bare by the slugs. Fortunately I was able to rescue the remnants and potted them up - there is fresh growth appearing so I might give them another go once they are big enough to survive a few nibbles.

Just googled Cimicifuga - looks good.

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I could of course be very cheeky and ask if anyone could spare me a bit of any of them, I'll happily pay the postage costs!

12. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :lollol: Oh Aaron love ya to bits mate.. I will see what I have.. :wink:

13. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    You're very kind :luv:

The Valerian you sent me last year has survived and is showing signs of life I'm pleased to report.

14. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I forgot, something else I have in that area is a Meadowsweet, Filipendula. I think there are signs of it reappearing.

15. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Ahh Meadow Sweet, the favourite of my late MiL brings back sweet memories of here & her garden every time I see it... :luv:
    Such a beautiful plant Aaron & I have always found if you leave the wildflowers alone & don't fuss around them or disturb the ground much they settle in well... :wink: