1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Daphne looking unwell

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Tabbee, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Tabbee

Tabbee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I’ve had this daphne for around 15 years now, I believe it is a variegated lollipop shaped plant and is very fragrant. It seems very top heavy, and earlier in the year the snow tipped it over onto the ground - I don’t think any roots were exposed and I managed to pull it back up and secure the trunk to a nearby post. I’m hoping it hasn’t been too effected by this as it is now flowering well.

My worry is that the leaves are yellowing and a lot have fallen off, and it is generally just looking unwell. I’ve been watering it with an ericaceous liquid feed both in the ground and over the leaves every fortnight which seems to be helping a bit. I was wondering if anyone could advise please on how best to prune it. I’m fine with the size so I’m not wanting to prune it to make it fit into the area, I just thought a prune might benefit it health wise and make it less top heavy. It’s also got some strange growths on it (pictured), I’m not sure if these are bad and whether they can/should be pruned out.

I’ve been looking online and it seems that sometimes Daphnes’ can die for ‘no reason’ and that they only live to a certain age, so I was thinking maybe these issues are because my daphne is old? Any advice would be gratefully received, as this daphne is really nice and I’d be sad to lose it.

Thank you!

3E99DF1F-9214-40EC-8105-F565179AC264.jpeg 9284BC99-3096-4DC7-9329-C826AAA9310B.jpeg C5F5739D-273A-407E-A114-BC63678BF188.jpeg F47D117B-9AE3-48D4-B9FB-9F44DD37991A.jpeg

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,648
    If it was tipped over by the weight of the snow, I'm wondering if the root disturbance has unbalanced it. Strange how the most scented plants can turn into right divas when they're upset!
    Of course, it could be soil too damp, that can cause leaf drop, so lay off the watering around the base. The last picture looks a little like a gall mite. Unsightly, but not a real problem.

3. Tabbee

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for your advice, hopefully it’s just a bit upset with the root disturbance and will settle over time. I’ll keep an eye on how much I’m watering it to avoid overdoing it and am glad the weird growths shouldn’t cause a problem.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,046
    I would leave it alone to recover, don't feed any more and wait to see if any parts die off completely before thinking about pruning, they don't recover from heavy pruning so be careful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Tabbee

Ratings:
      +8
      Thank you, I’ve read online that pruning can be a bit risky so I’ll leave it alone for a while and then maybe give it a very careful prune.

• Like Like x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,293
        Daphnes are utterly temperamental! As per the info you've already found, they don't live forever, and even without being disturbed, a big, formerly healthy plant will suddenly die for no apparent reason. I do hope yours pulls through, but best to accept that you'll need to replace it with something else, eventually.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,249
          I had a Daphne odora near the front door for 15+ years, next to a Sarcococca confusa, flowered beautifully most years, 2019 it really flowered fantastically and then died, the flowers dropped off as they finished then the leaves and I removed the remnants in June.
          Yesterday I bought a Daphne bholua "Darjeeling" to replace it.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
            Ratings:
            +4,325
            @NigelJ do you think there is any risk of species specific replant disease? Daphnes are not cheap!

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
              Ratings:
              +21,249
              @CarolineL The wisdom of planting in exactly the same spot had crossed my mind and I'm looking to put it in near the same path rather than in the same place. You are right they are not a cheap plant to replace.

• Like Like x 1