Datura - Purple Moonflower

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by LyndaG, Feb 13, 2015.

1. LyndaG

LyndaG Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,390
    I am beyond excited. I popped a couple of seeds in the propagator at 10pm on Wednesday night, (I know, I know, I need to get a life) I checked first thing this morning and look what I found!! This has made my day :0) I think I should pop them in individual little pots now and back in the propagator - is that right please? I have a few left if anybody would like me to send them to them, apparently they turn into big plants with huge purple flowers :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,619
      Yes pop them back into the propagator until the leafs appear - what you do after that depends on what space you have in the house. It's too early for them to go into an unheated greenhouse so you'll need to find a windowsill with plenty of light. They don't need to be in the propagator once the seedlings get big enough but Datura are tender so they will need to be somewhere not too cold - watch out for frosty nights as tender seedlings on a windowsill can suffer.

Yes they have great big trumpet flowers - a nice exotic plant.

I'm sure you know but Datura (along with lots of other common plants) are poisonous.

• Like Like x 1
      • LyndaG

LyndaG Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,390
        Thank you for all the useful information John. I had looked online and seen that they were poisonous, so am being careful. Didn't realise they were tender though, but I have a big cupboard which is covered in plants in the spare room so I will pop them in there when the leaves appear out of the compost. I have never known anything to germinate so quickly - sometimes I get bored waiting and give up! Thanks again for info and have a lovely afternoon x