1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Day Lilies not blooming

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Bit confused as to why several of my Day Lilies aren't blooming or have no buds on them at all. From doing a quick search online, most of the reasons don't seem to apply - they were only planted last Summer, so no need to be divided yet, and bloomed then, they get adequate sunshine and the foliage is healthy enough...but no blooms or even buds in the offing. The only thing I can think of might be the cold winter forced the growth to emerge later...so they might make an appearance later, but I am doubtful.

I planted two more last Autumn and another two this Spring, all of which are covered in buds. So they are fine!

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Sussex. I had some day lilies once (long gone to the great compost heap in the sky) They are very pretty. Something is rattling in my head that they take a year or two to settle down before flowering. I may well be getting them mixed up with something else though.

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Are you talking about Haemorocalis SussexGardener.
    Mine haven't come into flower yet either but I am expecting to see them flower about the end of the month so maybe you just need some patience.
    Rhylesgranny is right about them not liking to be disturbed so maybe if they were only planted last summer that is the reason.
    Hopefully they will come into flower for you in the next few weeks.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Yes, Hemerocallis. Strangely, they bloomed last year with no problems. And the new ones I planted last autumn all have several buds on them about to flower.

All I can think is that the ones that aren't flowering (yet??) were from the same source, whereas I haven't bought any Day Lilies from that garden centre since. But that seems very far fetched...

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Well they're still not blooming, nor is there any sign of any buds :( Can't think what is wrong; as I said before, the ones I planted last Autumn and this Spring are now all in bloom, only those that were blooming last year are doing nothing this year.

Anyone any ideas or should I chalk them up to a loss and remove? There isn't room in my garden for unproductive perennials!

6. Archdoodler

Archdoodler Gardener

Illustrator and Designer
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine haven't flowered either, similar situation - bought last year and nothing. Admittedly this year they have been hidden/strangled by a mixture of Honesty and Forget-Me-Nots - moved them to a sunnier position and they're not looking very healthy. Should I do what I've done with one or two other plants and put them in a pot with good compost tilkl they feel a bit better? Or is that too much disruption?

7. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Well, they do look like duds for this year Sussexgardener. Mine are into flower now.
    Can't suggest anything to you but I would give them one more year before turfing them out.
    While you're waiting give them a good talking to and tell them in the cruellest terms what will happen if they don't perform. It's amazing how often that works :wink:

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
  9. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I'm about 25 miles south-east of Archdoodler and mine (the common or garden Stella d'Oro), also planted last year, are flowering fine. Just a thought, but mine came with a warning to 'feed in Spring to ensure good flower production'.

PS - a quick 'google' suggests they're edible. Really?

10. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I'll try that next year. I didn't do it this Spring so perhaps that's why...

11. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    For Fidgetsmum - have seen TV programme etolling the virtues of eating the Hemerocallis flowers but never tried myself..........

Most of my day-lilies now over leaving the problem of green spaces in the flower beds, think I may give them the elbow next year as with the lupins ( can't get rid of the Paeonies 'cause my wife loves 'em

12. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    Bad read missed the 'x' out of 'extolling' - sorry.

13. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    You can get varieties that bloom later - try Franz Hals, which I have and only started blooming this week.