Daylilies

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by amymac78, May 9, 2015.

1. amymac78

amymac78 Gardener

Ratings:
    +130
    Hi all

I have 5 new daylilies on their way to me :hapfeet:Ideally I'd like them to be in a pot so I can take them when, or if, I move from my rental place, do you think they'll be ok in a 50x50x50cm pot?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
      +93
      They will be fine :) Daylilies are nothing if not hardy! I've had one in a shallow bowl shaped planter about half that depth for a few years now, and it's flowered vigorously every year. I feed it about once a month. It is stunted, of course, but not looking unwell in any other way - in your planter though there would be a lot more room for the roots. You might want to stick to one in the planter longer term though as they do grow well. I will be planting mine out this year, I've just had to wait while I've got somewhere to put it!

My original ones have survived being in ponds in tiny pots (no idea why), being moved, the same planters as the above ones and a 200 mile house move in those planters to boot before being planted in the ground again and they are still going very strong at at least 35yrs old.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,318

Hi Yes they will be fine as Nicki said as they are big pots for two max 3 years , they will soon let you know when they are not as they will stop flowering.
      What varieties are they ? as some take to pots better as some dayliys are huge plants

• amymac78

amymac78 Gardener

Ratings:
      +130
      I've got Sammy Russell, Luxury Lace, Entrapment, Strawberry Candy and Crimson Pirate, plus an Amadeus thrown in for free :hapydancsmil:

Thanks guys, hopefully they will like it there, for a while at least!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Spruce

Ratings:
        +12,318
        nice little collection , all are easy to grow , look forward to photo's

• amymac78

amymac78 Gardener

Ratings:
        +130
        Thanks Spruce, I've never grown daylilies, only lilies but I watched programme (Gardeners World...?) that had them on so thought I'd give them a try!
        I did buy 3 toad lilies too....and a new pot for them, they will be lovely :wub2:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Spruce

Ratings:
          +12,318

I forgot to say use a mixture of John inns no 3 and 3/4 about a quarter of multipurpose, they will be able to stay in the pots longer, if just multipurpose, wash off the roots next year and
          pot up in fresh about middle of March, they wont mind I do the same and it doesn't stop them flowering

• Informative Informative x 1