1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Daylily crosses (2012)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Wylie, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
    Ratings:
    +783
    I have recently learned something new about daylily seedlings; that TET's will bloom in their first season, but not DIP's. Last year I had started over 450 seedlings, and got 2 which bloomed in October. The most notable was the cross of Wild Horses X Heavy Metal:
    Wild Horses X Heavy Metal.JPG
    While it was great to see, it did weaken the plant and it took until July of this year to start blooming again. Its siblings opened months before, and most are already reblooming.
    This year I started another 300 seedlings, and several have put up scapes in only 7 months. Since I had 2 plants of the cross Pearl Harbor X August Frost, I cut one scape off and let the other bloom. Today it opened and this is what I got:
    Pearl Harbor X August Frost.JPG
    I will cut this scape off tomorrow and hope the plant returns to establishing itself instead of flowering since this weakens the plant and it may die as a result.:hapfeet:

• Like Like x 5
    • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,318
      Stunning, I'll be watching this thread to see all your other treasures, which I know you have lots of :biggrin:

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Wylie

I will be watching as well :goodpost: I just cant believe how many seedlings you are growing , I just told Simbad I have 20 so far this year and 1 !! from last year :lunapic 130165696578242 5: and I thought I was getting carried away with the crosses I am doing this year I have about 5 pods that have all taken so far ......

Spruce

• Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
      Ratings:
      +783
      Today I ordered some little plastic ziplock bags because I am going to run low on bags to hold the different crosses I have made. So far I have collected 13 bags of DIP crosses and 18 of TETs. There are a lot more ripening:gaah:, and I think the best are still to come:snork:

• Like Like x 2
      • Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
        Ratings:
        +783
        Today I had 3 seedlings of the same cross in flower. The pod parent is Joy of Life, but I am not sure who the pollen parent is - it could even be a self cross.
        The first is a little bug eaten - earwigs are a problem, and it is reblooming at 5.5"
        100_4880.JPG
        Definately orange and double, more of a burnt orange.
        Then its bigger buddy opened at 6", also double, orange, and reblooming:
        100_4881.JPG
        It has a slight red eyezone. This bloomed in its first year, but when it had flowers earlier, they were all singles - part of the stress of first year blooms.
        Then there was this other one; symmetrical, 6", reblooms, and more scapes than the other two combined:
        100_4879.JPG
        I will be keeping only one of these for next year.

• Like Like x 4
        • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,318
          I think they're all lovely but the last ones definitely my favourite, beautiful :dbgrtmb:

• simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,318
          I've just sent for some of those Wylie, not just for daylily seeds but other seeds in the garden too, bit of an obsessive seed collector :snork:, I used to print out and make my own seed packets but these were a bargain got 1000 for £6.99 off ebay!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
          • Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
            Ratings:
            +783
            Then you should also like a 4th seedling of this cross that is open today:
            Joy of Life sdlg.JPG
            I crossed this with Blue Spring - imagine that as a double! :wow: But since I haven't had anything take on B.S., I used this Joy of Life as pod parent. I also wish to amend a previous statement, I will be keeping 2 Joy of Life seedlings. But after so much orange, here is a little pink:
            Bounty X Heavenly Pink Butterfly.JPG
            This is Bounty x Heavenly Pink Butterfly. Coral self with pink band above an orange throat. 6" diameter, DIP, reblooms.

• Like Like x 4
            • Spruce

Ratings:
              +12,322
              Hi Wylie

No real thought behind my crosses it was what was blooming on the day, so far

Gold Elephant seems to be a good pollen parent to all of the below

Karens Curls
              Rocket Booster
              Black Emanuel
              Magic Dancer

I know Pear Harbour has a pod as well but forgot to tag this one up

Any tips on how to save the pollen as I will get my act together next year.

Spruce

• Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
              Ratings:
              +783
              To save pollen, get some small, sealable containers and when the tips are half open, take only the tips (use tweezers). Put them in the container (I have some real small vials that had petunia seeds) and let them dry for a couple of hours. Then seal, label, and put in the freezer. Before using, let it come to room temperature for about 20 mins, use the tweezers to grab and dab. What you don't use can be put back (once).

I am often stuck with using what is available on the day, but I have thought about what I want and don't want. Like today, only the 1 cross of Joy of life sdlg X Blue Spring because I would like a double with a blue eye. I passed on others because they didn't fit in, and you will find out in about 6 weeks (it takes DIPs 6 weeks to ripen/ TETs take 8 weeks) you have 20+ seeds, which means: Do you have room for that many seedlings?

• Spruce

Ratings:
              +12,322
              Thanks Wylie very useful information , "what you dont use" " can be put back once" ?? can you explain more

Spruce

• Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
              Ratings:
              +783
              If you use 1 anther for 1 cross, you will have 5 (more if it is a poly :heehee:) left over, so you can put those back in the freezer, but it starts to deteriorate, so you should be able to pull it out once more and use them, but the chance the pollen is viable starts to decrease (you can try it, but I have noticed it works best only the first time).
              I did go out and harvest a DIP pod after the last time I wrote - 15 good seeds in 1 pod!

• Like Like x 2
              • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,318
                Yes I like that one to :dbgrtmb: and the pink, OMG yes 'Blue Spring' as a double, that would be amazing :thud:

• Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
                Ratings:
                +783
                I have one that I really don't know if it will still be in my garden next year:
                American Revolution X Picket Fences.JPG
                This is a cross of American Revolution X Picket Fences. It did give a polypetal flower once, but it is normally normal. I like the extended throat on it, it is 7" and cascade in form. But at the end of it, it is just another red daylily.
                I am also having the same problem with this:
                Evermore Lights X Spiny Sea Urchin.JPG
                The other seedling of this cross has teeth, this has a fringe. This is slightly larger, but it just isn't as nice, so it may go away :noidea:. Fortunately, today I had several of the "keepers" open (in spite of rain showers), and 'Wisest of Wizards' is reblooming:
                Wizest of Wizards.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                • Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +783
                  One cross and 2 named varieties: The first is a Mount Herman Razzle Dazzle sdlg. I will be keeping this, but not using it in any crosses.
                  Mount Herman Razzle Dazzle sdlg (2).JPG
                  The next 2 named varieties are being used in some of my crosses. The first is 'Blushed With Emerald:
                  Blushed with Emerald.JPG
                  I cann't let the edge go to waste, so I have tried crossing this to Blue Spring:
                  Blue Spring.JPG
                  This is the last flower on the scape, so it will spending the rest of the year getting established and putting on a second fan.

• Like Like x 3