1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

dd

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by steven, Apr 11, 2005.

1. steven

steven Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi dee how are you i need help where should i plant a strawberry plant

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steven

You can plant your strawberry either in the open ground or in a pot, in full sun. Keep it watered & fed. If you plant them in the ground its a good idea to put straw under the leaves when the fruit starts to form to keep the soil off them. Watch the slugs don't get them before you do! You can get special strawberry pots, but 1 plant in a 20cm or 25 cm pot is fine.

Hope this helps

3. greenhouse goblin

greenhouse goblin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi steven,i have my strawberry plants in pots,i keep them on a patio table so they're off the ground, but i still put netting over them to keep the snails,bees,buterflys and such off,

4. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    I never had a single stawb off my plants, I'd watch the berries ripening and just as they reached peak perfection I'd go to pick them to find them totally gone, not pecked by birds or nibbled by slugs, whole berry gone. I couldn't work it out until I saw my dog coming in from the garden licking his lips.
    then the vine weevils got in and ate them from the bottom up, I'm going to try again this year in a hanging basket, at least it'll stop the dog from nicking them.

5. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Revin try troughs or tall planters, see my pics, just 4 plants in planter and 3 in trough 1 meter long....less likely to dry out, very heavy croppers too, pick from May - October. I too had to hide them from predators lol like Peacock and if my Dog was allowed out of my site, she would have licked her chops too, lol

6. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    It'd have to be a very tall planter, he can reach right to the back of the kitchen worktops. I bought a mini manger basket and was going to screw directly to the wall to save all that swinging about in the wind.

7. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Helen,

Off topic ....

Why revin ?

Is it, as in revin' Triumph cars? ;)

Nathan.

8. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings: