dead birds next to greenhouse

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by averil, Jul 26, 2012.

1. averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +44
    In the last week I have found one dead blackbird lying next to my greenhouse and this morning I found a bird that looked like it was nearly dead, lying on a step near the greenhouse. The other half thinks it may have been stunned and took it to a quiet place to try and recover. Im worried these birds are flying into my greenhouse glass and killing/injuring themselves. Has anyone else had this problem? I may have to get stickers for the windows, because I couldnt bear to think this is why they were dying. It certainly doesnt look like a cat or any other predator had got to them

2. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    weird. Have you had your greenhouse long? Stickers may well be a good idea, I think you can get ones that look like cobwebs, specifically so the birds don't fly into it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Aw ...what a shame Averil... if you can find one of those cheap shops...maybe try getting those windmill thingys or hang CDs on a string and hang them on the side of the GH...I've used those streamer things that you hang on the door before today (that keep flys out):dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
        Ratings:
        +44
        No its only been up for about 3 weeks Ros. Ive been having a look on ebay for these sticker things but i dont know what theyre called.

• averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
        Ratings:
        +44
        Thats a good idea lolimac. I may look at hanging things on the framework. I would prefer to find those transfers but i wouldnt know where to start looking

• averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
        Ratings:
        +44
        Ive just found those things on ebay. Theyre called bird shadow bird scarers, so ive bought 6 and if it is the greenhouse thats causing these poor birds injuries hopefully that will sort it. Thanks folks:ThankYou:

• Like Like x 2
        • watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
          +549
          Some one I used to know had to clear up dead birds every week around 20-30 of them, I didn't believe it until I saw for myself. He lived under (quite a way) an overhead powerline, they fly into it get stunned (Because they hit it head on at speed, not electrocuted) and fall out the sky and are killed by the impact on the ground.

I would say if what you brought doesn't work anything brightly coloured on the glass will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
          • averil

averil Gardener

semi-retired
            Ratings:
            +44
            aw watergarden thats horrible eh? poor things. I hope these things Im getting sort the problem out. Many thanks :)

• rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,946
            I very often get birdsn flying into the kitchen and bedroom windows, i think it may be because the trees in the garden reflect into them. I had a pigeon fly into the kitchen and break its neck last week.

Rusty

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,315
            Averil, knowing the time of year there are a lot of young birds around even though they may be fully grown. Unfortunately, they take a while to develop the sense of where they can fly and stay safe, this is probably what's happened to the birds you've found, sad though it is.

• ryncharlton

ryncharlton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +3
            I get this alot at home too , the extension i have seems the worse for birds hitting it , because it looks clear , as if they could fly straight through , get 1 or 2 a month hit the glass head on.