Dead branches - Maple Tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by b6x, Aug 23, 2011.

1. b6x

b6x Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning all.

I'll start by introducing myself as a *very novice* gardener in Hampshire. I would therefore appreciate some (probably simple) advice on a problem we have with a maple tree in our garden. This year it has a noticable amount of dead branches. I'm concerned that the tree is on it's way out as we have recently also lost a Cherry Blossom tree.

Is there anything I can do to save the tree as it would be a shame to lose (as it's a good size and offers good privacy). Should I write off the dead branches now and be cutting them off?

Many thanks in advance.
    Steve

2. HarmonyArb

HarmonyArb I know sh!t about trees

Arborist
    Ratings:
    +247
    Hi Steve

Welcome to the site. I hope you find a solution to your problem here.

Firstly; Do you know what led to the decline of your cherry?

Secondly; would it be possible for you to post some photos of the tree, just to help make identification of the problem easier.

Thirdly; take a look at this page, if you haven't already done so and see if any of it applies in your case - http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/trees/14396-tree-health-diagnosis-self-help-guide.html

A noticeable amount of dead branches could indicate a problem within the tree - something is affecting the amount of water and nutrients that the tree can transport around its vascular system. Dead branches will not revive and can be removed, making sure to adhere to good pruning guidelines as this will help the tree to recover.

• Like Like x 1
    • b6x

b6x Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the response. I will take some photos tomorrow when the light is better.

The maple tree itself looks in good health apart from the dead branches (probably only about 5-10%), although there does seem to be white/silvery patches of lichen(?) covering a lot of the bark.

As for the cherry tree, unfortunately I do not really know whats happened to it. A few dead branches appeared one year, and then the following the tree did not blossom at all. It has since been attacked by woodpeckers in places.

Thanks again.

• whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +803
      Pics would be helpful
      Meantime, I think you should be cutting off the dead branches. They are not helping the look of the tree, and if they are dead, they are dead :)
      Die back on many maples is a common occurrence and is nothing to worry about. It is natures way of self pruning ......

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      read a post somewhere that many maples in Canada are currently dying ... some say it is some sort of disease

I recently planted a japanese maple bloodgood ... approx 2 feet tall .... all the leaves started going brown on the edges after a few days, then the brown spread further ... did not overwater or underwater and is in a semi-shade spot and well protected from wind

checked this week, and most leaves have fallen off, but I see new buds forming ... not sure if the leaves will open before the cold sets

bought it from a large garden centre, and have a year's guarantee (cost over £20)

will see what happens in spring, but really hope that it will settle

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      If it is the outside branches that go dead it could be an attempt of the tree to balance his branches, by preserving the strongest branches and best exposed to light. This process is ongoing until the tree will stabilize itself.

• b6x

b6x Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi all. Thanks for the responses so far. Much appreciated. I have attached some photos (hopefully).

Wasnt too sure if a picture of a dead branch would be much good but I've added one. :) Also added a photo of the whole tree as, to me, it doesn't seem as "leafy" as it was last year.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

• whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +803
      Your tree generally looks fine to me
      The 'lichen' on the main trunk is not a problem
      Cut off the dead branches (cut up to but not beyond the collar on the main trunk) It is this collar that will grow over and heal the wound
      Japanese maples suffered greatly this past year with the unusual weather conditions we have had. My own trees have had similar problems. The bitter aggressive winds we had in or around May did a lot of damage, and some trees have not fully recovered from that
      I am hoping that there will be a full recovery next year :)