1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dead lawn patches

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by cresser, Sep 8, 2011.

1. cresser

cresser Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, in need of some experienced advice....
    We noticed some weeks ago now, that in several places, all quite near to each other, there appearred what look like, dead, or burnt patches on our lawn. I suspect it could be Cat`s, but I`m not sure, I`ve tried pouring on lots of water from our butt, and even broke the soil and applied some new seeds, but nothing is happening at all, the patches just seem dead. Any ideas as to how this might be put right, any advice appreciated, cheers, cresser.:dbgrtmb:

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
  3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Cresser and welcome to the site.:dbgrtmb: If you have a she dog or cat that could be the cause.:thumbsup: If it is an animal problem thwn you need to train the pet not to do it. With a cat, you should train her to use a litter tray, with a bitch, fence off a little bit of garden that she can use as a toilet. Then repair the lawn by cutting out the damaged areas with a spade, replace with fresh soil and reseed.:dbgrtmb:

4. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    scarify the lawn with a garden rake, then mow (but don't mow too short) ... then aerate (no need to hire expensive equipment ... use a good garden fork and try and go down at least 3 inches deep and space the rows at 6 inches apart)

then, add some autumn lawn granular fertilizer such as Scotts .... add a thin layer of topsoil and water well

wait till spring, then re-valuate the condition and take it from there

5. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    I would go along with young Dai, - do you have a (lady) dog or cat? - If you do thats almost certainly the cause. - *Dim*'s comment is worth noting - never cut the lawn too close, this is true for all grasses except bowling or putting greens.

a-a

6. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    if you opt for the 'train the cat to pee in a designated area' method, it may take a couple of years or several .... and may not work at all (from what I have read)

and then, just as you train the cat, a new neighbour moves into the area and his cat's find your garden attractive

:)

7. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881

You`ve obviously never had cats, it would take DAYS to train it.:dbgrtmb:

8. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    you are correct Dai .... I favour dogs and have never owned a cat (and never will) ....

however ..... I speak from a gardeners perspective and my conclusions arise from threads similar to this, and from my own recent experiences in a garden that was 'harrased' by a neighbour's cats ....

and also what I have read on several other gardening forums when I researched in desperation for a solution to the cat problem

:dbgrtmb:

9. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Just a minor heads up Dim but speaking from experience and the experience of others Sonic Repellers are about as useful as a an ashtray on a motorbike. A complete waste of money :dbgrtmb:

10. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    The probable cause is as Dai's already pointed out but there's a slight possibility it's Leatherjackets although they're juvenile now and not normally that active and destructive until Spring. Have a little dig about just in one of the dead patches, if you don't find any dark grubs then do as Dai suggested.

11. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881

Axl, I think you may have hit the problem on the head, it could very well be Leatherjackets.:thumbsup:

12. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,867
    Good evening all I have Gypsy,Tiny and Penny all of the female persuasion (Bitches) I don,t get to much of a problem because they use a designated area,This year as an experiment I am going to seed a new area of my garden with white clover and as I have been informed that it is the Nitrogen in the urine that causes the damaged yellow areas,as white Clover just loves Nitrogen so the damage is minimal :)

• Like Like x 2
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      from The Lawn Expert book:

if the patches have a ring of deep green grass around the brown patch, then it is bitch urine

patches caused by leatherjackets are normally only visible in spring or early summer

there is loads more info on the brown patches, but do us a favour, and try and stick a garden fork into one of the patches and tell us what happens ....

there may be builders rubble close to the surface, or the soil could be heavily compacted in that area (the book describes this as a cause of brown patches)

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,485
      Woo, you could lay straw to filter the urine and get nitrate crystals from it. You can then make your own gunpowder :heehee: :heehee:

• Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
      +446
      I'm gonna use that as my signature!

• Like Like x 3