1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Deadhead Delphiniums, or Cut Right Down?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    What is the best procedure? I've never been brave enough to cut them down to the ground for a second-crop

And should D. belladonna and D. elatum types be treated differently, or the same, in this regard?

I see two types of advice offered:
    1. Snip of the main flower spike when it has faded, just above the smaller side branches of flower that you will see emerging from below the main central stalk
    2. Wait until the flowers begin to fade and cut back the entire flowering stem all the way to the ground, if possible. (found under the heading "Plants That Flower From a Single Stem e.g. delphinium & blazing star")
      and:
      As spikes of delphiniums finish flowering, cut them to within 15cm/6in of the ground. If well mulched, they should produce enough growth for a second flowering in early autumn.
    I'm happy to add the mulch, and water them etc. :)

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,552
    I have never grown Delphiniums Kristen but I think I'd be inclined to treat them like Lupins which grow in a similar way. I'd go for the first option. :)

3. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    Sorry no idea either kristen,ive grown some from seed swap ,i could do with knowing whether to plant them or over winter and plant out next spring,also do slugs like them?

4. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,177
    oooh yes Joolz, slugs adore new fresh green delph growth. As sure as eggs are eggs, they'll be snooping around them in Spring. It's heartbreaking to come down in the morning to find a stubble,
    Jenny

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,552
      Are you talking about Delphiniums Jenny or the other half! :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 5
      • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,385
        Thanks jenny,i will pot them on,overwinter and plant in spring with some slug control:blue thumb:
        I think im going to unleash the hens on the garden come january,sick of slugs and snails :gaah:

• Creative Creative x 1
        • rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +434
          I have never grown them before, but I always find that chopping things right down when they start to seed as I did with the Delphiniums, Columbines, etc they come up very strong again after only couple weeks oh and I feed them, with but watch for caterpillars and the snails they love fresh new growth.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            I would over winter them and plant out early, with slug protection. I'm on heavy soil and I want strong plants in the first season to improve their over-wintering ability.

However, after the first year and when they have got established I am less sure about the slug risk. I have read lots about slugs and Delphiniums, but mine are not effected. It seems to me that the Delphs sprout early and are well under way before the slugs have started waking up after winter.

• Like Like x 1
            • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              I usually go for the first option but I do find the second flush of flowers are weak looking and not as impressive as the first blooms,think I might chop them right back this time and see how they go..

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              This seems to be the professional's choice ... seems rather "brave" though :sad:

• lost_in_france

lost_in_france Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,138
              Sorry if I am misunderstanding the options, but wouldn't you do both 1 & 2? I have cut the head off the main flower spike once the flowers had gone as in option 1 and the side shoots are still flowering, but now on the way out. Once these are gone I'll cut it back as in option 2. I did get a second flowering last year, think they only grew to about half the original size. As the original size was about 7 foot this year, I don't mind that.

• Like Like x 1
              • Useful Useful x 1
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                Yes, I do cut the flowers off, leaving the developing side-shoot flower stems, so the question is, as you say, whether to be brave and then cut them right down for a second-crop ...

I'm working out which ones to try it on this year, in case it doesn't work and those have reduced vigour next year.

I also wonder if D. belladonna and D. elatum types should be treated differently? I think D. belladonna is regarded as continuous flowering?? (and include many that you can grow from seed, including F1's that will come-true) whereas D. elatum are the monsters that the likes of Blackmore & Langdon sell, and I don't think they flower any more (although I expect that is those that benefit from cutting to the ground, and will then make a second crop)

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                I chickened out on all of them but have cut right back one,time will tell:thumbsup:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                When the time comes, do tell? :)

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,631
                I cut mine right down to the ground when they are done. I always get a second growth. Just go for it

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1