1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Deadheading Roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by ETAF, Aug 22, 2021.

1. ETAF

ETAF Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +35
    I have been reading up on deadheading Roses and see things like take off at the group of 5 leaves or 3 leaves or just the head
    I assume the 5 leaves is if its not a cluster of blooms

anyway - I have attached some images - where I did just take off the head - and now need to so some more

the Roses are Summer Wine & Amnesty International Climbers

I also have a bit of red coloured wood on AI Rose at the bottom, not sure if i should cut that away or leave

Rose AI Deadhead.jpeg Rose SW Deadhead 2.jpeg AI - off colour wood.jpeg

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,552
    If the flowers are single as in a Hybrid Tea rose then you will be able to cut back to five leaves but that isn't totally necessary, three leaves would be okay. If the rose has multiple flower heads as with Floribunda's you can snip each one separately just underneath. When all the flowers on the stem have died then that stem can be pruned off down to the next set of leaves.

That looks like a dying stem which should be removed where it meets the main stem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ETAF

ETAF Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +35
      Thanks for the reply - not sure what type of climber i have, if its a Hybrid Tea or a Floribunda , i thought reading here that climbers where a group on their own. The Seven Groups Of Roses

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,552
      It won't be a Hybrid Tea or a Floribunda as they are shrub roses. I was using those an example for the way your climber should be pruned. :)

@wiseowl is GC's respected resident Rosarian with a life time of experience and may want to add more to what I have said.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ETAF

ETAF Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +35
        OK, thanks so much for taking the time for the follow-up
        I think i follow, sorry I'm very new to all this gardening and particularly roses.
        - If its a Single flower on a stem, then i can go back 3 or 5 leaves.
        - If it has multiple heads on a stem , then just under the head , not back to where the group starts or where the next head stem is , but just under the head leaving maybe 1 leaf or stalk

So in my case pictures above, i have cut wrong.
        - In the first picture - The AI Rose - with a red ring, I should have cut back 3 or 5 leaves?
        - In the second Picture - The SW Rose - Should i go back to where it joins the stem or just under the head? , leaving the stem.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Hmmm... sounds like we have been doing it wrong for all these years, but they still keep on flowering well :biggrin:

Lets see what uncle @wiseowl has to say....

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,552
          No need to apologise, even those of us with experience started as novices. :)

Yes, preferably 5 but some stems may not have 5, so cutting back to 3 is not a problem.

Yes, prune the head off just underneath. This is done when there are still other flowers alive in the cluster. If or when all the flowers are dead the stem can be pruned down to the next set of leaves. If you think the remaining cluster looks scruffy there is no reason why you shouldn't prune it off.

Don't worry if you think you've made a mistake pruning, roses are tough and will create new growth easily.

When dead heading shrub roses in particular, prune the stem back to the next set of 5 or 3 leaves that are facing away from the centre of the rose. The new shoot that grows from that cut will grow in the same direction. Roses need air circulation to stave off disease.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,804
          Good morning @ETAF my friend everything our good friend @Sheal has said is 100% the correct text book method:smile:

My way is not text book with multi-flowered roses, I take off each flower from the cluster as its petals begin to fall, snipping with secateurs or pinching it which I prefer to do when I am deadheading roses with single-flowers, I snip off the flowerhead and around 6 inches off of the cane, cutting just above a strong, healthy leaf. there is nothing complicated with Roses we all have our own ways I personally with respect to you say please don't worry about the rules with Roses "there is an old saying amongst Rosarians "Rules are meant to guide you not bind you" just enjoy your Roses my friend they really are not complicated to care for at all :smile:

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • ETAF

ETAF Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +35
            Thanks for all the advice , happy to know i cant kill them or stop them blooming.

Thanks @Sheal, I had read about cutting to the bud facing out , and to keep the middle clear, on some of the youtube channels i followed.

Interesting @wiseowl you deadhead as the petals start to fall , i was waiting till they all came off , but I had thought as the head was dead/dying it might be better to cut then

all good to know , thanks every one

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,804
              Hello @ETAF my friend you are more than welcome the only time you don't deadhead a Rose is if you require "Rose Hips"

The second thing to know is why do roses bloom in the first place? The bloom because that flower is the first stage of the rose instinctively doing what all things in nature want to do. Reproduce itself. A rose sets a flower, the petals fall off and they are followed by what are called hips. Hips are those bright, mostly orange, berries you see on roses where a flower used to be. Inside those hips are rose seeds. Yes, actual seeds that have the ability to grow into new roses. And this is how roses reproduce themselves.

This means when you deadhead the rose hasn’t finished its “job” and so will produce another flower in the hope of it becoming a hip. It’s only when the rose “sets” hips, that it goes to sleep and takes a break:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • ETAF

ETAF Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +35
                Thanks again
                Interesting looking at the Zones - I'm in Zone 9A
                Spent a lot of my my time in Kent 30+ years, before moving out in 1991 after

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,552
                  You're welcome. :)

Yes, it does seem strange that you and I have the same zone considering we're both at each end of mainland Britain. The Highland area of Scotland is quite variable in its climate pattern.

• Like Like x 1