1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Death of an asparagus bed.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Warwick lad, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Warwick lad

Warwick lad Gardener

Semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +104
    I've now taken over the walled garden, it's humungous, it's so big if needed I could use the tractor to cultivate.... 20190211_140639[1].jpg

This is only 2/3 of the ground, the other 1/3 is behind me....the tree in the top left is a fig, and it's in bud now, apparently it's been there years...memo to me "look up about pruning a fig"........but I digress,... there's been a murder!!!!!! drum roll.

The outgoing guy has rotovated the entire asparagus bed, and here is the evidence for the crime....we don't know for what reason???? it's a mystery. 20190211_140719[1].jpg

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,255
    I think you have two choices replant the most intact crowns and not harvest anything this year and see what happens. Or get new crowns and start a new bed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Warwick lad

Warwick lad Gardener

Semi-retired
      Ratings:
      +104
      That's what I was thinking.....just a so sad that it was done.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,051
      It could be that the Asparagus bed was past it's best, they can last for 15 or so years if looked after, I'd take a 50:50 approach and replant the most intact ones and get some fresh crowns. I'd also start in another bed rather than replant in the same soil to give them all a much better chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
        Last edited: Feb 16, 2019