1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Decidious azaleas?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Delta, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Delta

Delta Gardener

Disabled, unemployed.
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm just curious - are certain azaleas decidious to the point of almost complete defoliation in Autumn. I've had this one for 3 or 4 years now but it's never lost almost its entire leaves in the space of a week or two before. :(. I've another newer one in an ordinary pot that's done the same too though not quite as dramatically perhaps. The bonsai one is in part soil and part grit with a top layer of kanuma grit which is supposed to be for azaleas while the other is just in a pot of ericaceous soil. Both were fed well through the summer with an ericaceous feed (Green Dream) and watering was reduced as soon as the weather got cooler & wetter.

Any encouragement appreciated. :)

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,519
    If it is a deciduous azalea then it will lose all its leaves in winter.:smile:
    I think all azaleas are now classified as rhododendrons, but I seem to think azalea was always deciduous.
    Not an expert by any means.:biggrin:

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Azaleas can be deciduous or evergreen. I have both here.
    An important factor in growing azaleas in pots is not to mulch too heavily. A soil based ericaceous compost too is important. :)