1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Decisions,

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by luciusmaximus, Mar 13, 2017.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    I've got a young honeysuckle in a large pot. I want to plant something around the honeysuckle, but I just can't decide what :scratch:. I want something bee and butterfly friendly, deep pink, lavender blue or purple in colour that will not grow above 18 - 24" (or wind will batter it ). The pot is on the patio in a partial shade position. Been looking online,but there is just too much choice :huh:. Anyone got any ideas please? Pics would be good too, but not essential.

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Does it have to be flowers, or is foliage ok? I'm thinking because you mentioned shade, you might be a bit limited, but hostas and ferns look really good and are fine in similar conditions to honeysuckle. Although foliage, there are some that are distinctly blue, or other colours you might not expect to see in foliage.

The only concern that springs to mind is that anything you grow close to honeysuckle will eventually get used as a climbing frame by the honeysuckle. I'm the first few years, it probably won't be an issue, as the honeysuckle focuses all its energy on aiming for the sky with just one or two shoots, but once it settles in it starts spreading, and that's when it will possible tangle around any plants you out too close to it.

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Oops, forgot about the been friendly requirement.

How about honesty? I think that ticks all the boxes, being the right colour (when in bloom), tolerates shade, and in fact is often found at the foot of hedgerows where it thrives in the wild. When the flowers finish, you get the most amazing paper like translucent seed pods which many people find more interesting than the flowers themselves.

• Like Like x 1
        • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
          Ratings:
          +6,224
          I like the hosta idea but what about campanula? Does ok in light shade and is bee friendly

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            How about Foxgloves or Penstemon, you can get shorter varieties nowadays.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
              Ratings:
              +6,899
              I did know about the Honeysuckle, but I only bought it last summer and as Clueless1 has said its intent on going vertical at moment. I'm not sure yet whether it will remain in the pot. Just thought a little extra colour is never a bad thing. I'm thinking annuals might work now.

• Like Like x 1