1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Decking Joists - Will these be ok?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Muddy14, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Muddy14

Muddy14 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Bazherts

Bazherts Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Muddy,

these will be ok but i would suggest that you dont push them out any more than 500mm between joists and use a good quality decking on top. The spec from B&Q might tell you different but ii have had loads of customers sending taking stuff back to those guys.

Baz

Baz

3. Muddy14

Muddy14 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anything similar priced that you would recommend? I was going to space them 400mm per joist

4. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Lol, that's not a joist.:lollol:
    I very much doubt that with cope with any form of elevation. Recommend this be laid on a flat dry surface if you expect it to last more than 5 minutes.

Ideally decking joists that are raised should be 4"x2" or very minimum 3"x2". You also need 1" deck thickness to avoid curling.

You can do decking cheap but it will look cheap and it won't last long:)

This is over kill but my joists are over wet ground 6"x2" but on pad stones. The B&Q thickness on that link I wouldn't even use as nogs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Try your local timber merchants/mill.
    I needed some 3.6m long pressure treated 8x2`s.. £10 each with free local delivery.
    I couldnt get a standard 8ft 3x3 fence post for that money at b&q or wickes and i`d have to go fetch it :wink:

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    I agree with BM - they are under strength, unless you have plenty of padstones every 400mm they will be very bouncy.

7. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    They look like little sticks to me I'm all for overkill cause at least u know it'll last and be safe

8. Muddy14

Muddy14 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments people!

Banana Man, thanks for that, like th elook of your project. Didnt think of using breeze blocks to sit them on :)

9. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Level them off on a nice footing and they provide a good flat base for laying joists.

Give the deck a slight run so that water doesn't sit.

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Breze blocks work very well and ultimately will last longer than concreted in posts, this is also the method I use. Use a length of plastic DPM between the joist and the block to stop the damp rising up through the block.

The heavyer the joist the better, I have also often used tanalised 2"x6" before. a large timber or builders merchant will be the best place to go and youll have a choice of lengths so potentially less wastadge.

11. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Also leave at least 7mm gap between the planks in a wet area as they swell a lot when damp. My decking never get direct sunlight' last year I coated it with clear decking protector (i like the natural colour of the wood) and so far this winter it hasn't gone green.