1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Decontaminating Tools of Japanese Knotweed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mowerman, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
    +599
    I've been doing some work in a garden, clearing it of saplings, weeds and rubbish, plus piles of Japweed stems from years before and burning it where it grows as it's just bare soil (they had been burning it on a slabbed patio next to the house (are they insane!). I even found some a sizeable chunk of it's distinctive root on there but it had perished.

My question is, although I did not dig up any knotweed as this would be futile, my spades, forks, shovel etc feel somewhat contaminated. I sprayed them with a VERY strong solution of Domestos and gave them a good soaking and brushing, I'm still worried that almost microscopic traces could still be on them, if they came into any contact with the rhizomes.

What else would you recommend doing to clean them.... maybe spray them with neat Clinic Ace? I can afford to bin them and buy a whole new set. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,033
    Its a plant, it cant grow from single cells unless in a laboratory.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
      +599
      I've heard that almost microscopic traces of root (at least not visible to the naked eye) can be transferred to other areas, such as on peoples' boots etc.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but I'm just concerned about it appearing in clients' gardens and getting the blame for it.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        I think you've done all that's necessary Mowerman. I'm sure there will be no re-growth. :) If it makes you feel better though you could spray them with Round-Up, leave them for a couple of days and then give them a good wash to remove the Round-Up.

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,093
        Or put them in a fire for a few mins to burn off all traces of infection.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,610
          I thought that Wee Tam but then thought it may damage the covering on handles etc. There's no point in only 'firing' the parts that are used. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • IceColdRum

IceColdRum Cacti & Herb Mad

Customer Service Advisor
            Ratings:
            +837
            This is not possible, Fallopia japonica is not a virus or bacteria it's a plant... what you've said sounds like something a salesman would say to scare you into using their expensive professional service.

Yes technically in a laboratory setting you could use tissue culture to grow the plant from small amounts of meristem but even then they don't use single cells as it would not be a very good success rate even with ideal conditions.

Simply cleaning your tools with a brush and soapy water to clean them is more than enough you only need to remove visible detritus which might be hiding small pieces of root, using stronger chemicals is unnecessary and over time will ruin your tools.

Just stick to spraying the plant with weed killer and continually removing new growth :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
              +599
              Thanks for your advice guys. I'll use some strong weedkiller and leave for a few days and wash it off.

I did the fire trick on the last visit but only the metal parts otherwise the handles would've got burnt and with all the crap I handled in that garden, they're as likely to have small fragments on as the metal parts. I've binned the boots as they were knackered anyway but gave them the same treatment as the tools before leaving.

Just have to scrub my vehicle out now. Thank God I don't have to go back to that place again. Japweed, horsetails and a solitary plant I suspect is Giant hogweed has started to grow. Last years 12ft dried up stem was cut down and burned on the last visit and this plant ticks all the boxes for what I think it could be, now that new leaves have appeared. They only need Ground Elder and Creeping Cinquefoil to have a garden planted by the Devil himself.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +86,033
                Last years giant hog weed plant would have shed thousands of seed before you burnt the part that was dead anyway.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
                  +599
                  Well none of them seem to have broken through the surrounding dormant couch grass that's all keeled over but time will tell. I hope for their sake it isn't what it looks like.