1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Decoupage

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Jack Sparrow, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I remember decoupage being mentioned in relation to making greetings cards. Could it be used for outdoor plant pots. I am not particularly arty but I could make a design on my computer and print it. The article I read suggested a coat of PVA glue would weather proof it. Any shared experiences would be appreciated.

G.

2. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    Hi @Jack Sparrow I think I've seen projects like that before, but the main problem is completely protecting the design. PVA is not classed as waterproof so maybe use varnish instead. And if it's a terracotta pot, then you'd also need to seal the inside too, otherwise water from the soil in the pot will affect the decoupage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
      +5,414
      Hi @CarolineL Thanks for getting back to me. The original idea was to hang a flower pot on the shed for each of my 5 grandchildren. I was going to get them to paint the pots and plant the flowers. I bought a metal plant pot from a thrift shop (Poundland I think) and had a go at painting it myself. I first coated it with white metal/wood outdoor undercoat and then painted it with yellow acrylic paint. I didn't like the result. You could see all the brush marks and some traces of the pattern on the original pot. I guess the effect would have been better after several coats but I wasn't prepared to go to that much trouble.

Next I created a template on my computer and made a stencil of each of their initials. These came out well but it was impossible to wrap the paper tightly enough around the pot. At this point I gave up trying.

Completely unrelated, I have recently been working on an idea I borrowed from the net about stacking plant pots to make a tower. I wanted something nice to look at from our kitchen window that is more interesting than just a fence. I thought if I could decorate the pots they would still be attractive in the winter when they are void of plants.

Today it dawned on me. If I had a tower consisting of 5 pots I could dedicate each one to a grandchild. I then had another brainwave. Instead of building the tower in some random place in the middle of nowhere, I could build it in front of the shed. That area has yet to be developed anyway. The pots then would have more meaning and would be roughly in the place I want to put them in the first place.

G.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
      • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
        +5,414
        I have yet to source the pots but the chances are they would be plastic. As I would need 5 identical pots of varying sizes I'm guessing my choice of colours would be limited. I would like green if I could get them. I could design and print designs to go on each of them. Perhaps I could buy some spray acrylic sealant from the local hobby shop. I guess I can cross that bridge when I come to it. I can't see it happening anytime soon as developing that area isn't currently very high on my list of priorities.

G.

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,607
        What is this Tower?

• Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
        +5,414
      • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        @Jack Sparrow if you intend to use plastic pots (you can get green) and don't want to be over elaborate you could do a design with a fine paint marker and either use a engraving tool or soldering iron to make it more permanent or just use paint markers and just redo when it fades.

• Like Like x 2
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,607
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
            +5,414
            @CanadianLori . No problem.
            @mazambo . Thanks. I had better put the project on hold for the time being. I will come back to it when I'm ready. At the speed I work that may be some time away yet..

G.