Deep fried vegetables as a starter.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Sarraceniac, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. I'm only putting this on because this topic seems to have dried up. It isn't really a recipe in the true sense. Just a suggestion. But after my 'Yorkshire Pudding' thread which I thought everyone would ignore, was swamped with ideas, here goes.

First the vegetables.

ANYTHING.

But some suggestions:

Mushrooms are always popular. For this use button mushrooms. Take out the stalk and fill the cavity with cream cheese.

Leek rings.

Cauliflower. Very small sprigs. Blanch it well. Equally true of broccoli (calabrese). As a veg I prefer proper broccoli but for this use calabrese.

French beans. Prepare and blanch first.

Very very young potatoes. Again cut very small and blanch.

Very young white turnip. Same as spuds. DO NOT TRY SWEDE.... I did YUKKK.

Young beetroot. Same as spuds. But again YOUNG.

Getting the idea? Well it's like all my cooking, no real recipe just logic.

Prepare your favourite batter (I think a tempura or a beer batter is great. Plenty of recipes for batter around, I'm sure you've got your favourite.)

Get your oven hot for storing. Dip the veg in the batter and deep fry in VERY hot oil, preferably olive oil but any veg oil will taste OK, in an order that allows you to keep them hot. i.e. roots first, then brassicas, beans and finally mushrooms (if you can get assorted so much the better).

Serve in a large dish so everyone can take what they want (so small personal dishes - this is a starter for goodness sake). Put out dips to taste. (Marie rose, 1,000 island etc. But most importantly.... horseradish sauce.)

Last time we did this for dinner guests they all shouted for more and then no one really wanted main course. Of course they were all vegetarians and the main course was peasant (or was it phartridge?) ;) :D

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    must try this, bet all them veg are lovely and tasty in the batter, thanks sarraceniac

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I have once bought some crisps made from vegetables, but I was not over enthusiastic about it. I much prefer a nice vegetable pizza with some courgettes peppers and spinaches.

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Quite agree Miraflores. I bought a packet of those once and was completely underwhelmed, a bit less tasty than cardboard. [​IMG] :D

5. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,925
    Sorry but I thought ALL crisps were made of vegetables ;)

6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    lol Roders. The tattie one's are fine. But the beetroot, parsnip etc. ones.........yuk.

Looks like my thread has got peeps discussing food again. But how we got diverted onto crisps (which are a snack and not food)... :confused: :confused:

Deep fried vegetables are not crisp (apart from the batter coating - hopefully). The veggies themselves are....well, veggies. Oh and miraflores, you are right, courgettes are another beaut. ;) :D :D