Deer-proof Hedging

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Liz Giz, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Liz Giz

Liz Giz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a bit of a field,and I want to put a hedge around it and make a garden. The only problems are 1. Deer from the neighbouring forest potter about in the field & munch everything (except holly apparently), 2. the soil seems to be pure clay. I don't want any more holly, so does anyone have any informed ideas about what would be suitable hedging plants to choose? Not leylandii!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,355
    Yew is apparently poisonous to grazing animals, but I presume you do not want to kill the deer. However I do wonder if the deer would perhaps avoid this. Most wild animals tend to reconise such dangers, but I am not sure about this, it is just a thought.

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,879
    Liz,

I take it you are from the North or North-East of Essex (most deer in that area).

I would give a Laurel hedge a go, looks a nice glossy green all year round, and once it has taken, will grow pretty rapidly (when pruning, clippings are poisonous).

Deer can really jump, so nothing is going to be instant regarding a hedge.

Nathan.

4. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    In my experience, while living on the edge of Exmoor, such a thing as a "deer proof" hedge, particularly in the short term, was about as rare as finding hen's teeth. You might have to opt for fencing I'm afraid, or a combination of hedge and fence, if you really want to keep them out. Sorry it's a negative reply.

5. Liz Giz

Liz Giz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all these ideas. I'm sorry that I didn't make my problem quite clear...My garden borders Epping forest, and I don't really mind if the deer get in, they are very nice to look at, but I want a hedge for privacy. The hedge is also to keep the toddlers from straying into the forest. I want plants that the deer won't eat, especially while they're getting established. I suppose that realistically, the kids will be fully-grown before the hedge!

6. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,879
    Liz,

As mentioned above, Laurel hedging looks nice (much better than Leylandii), and once established, can grow rapidly.

See this site http://www.surreyhedging.co.uk/ , has lots of various types of hedging. Also being Surrey, isn't a million miles away.

Hope this helps

Nathan.