1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Delighted

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Sussexgardener, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I bought one of those "Dalek" style compost bins about 18months ago and have been religiously filling it ever since. We only put kitchen veg waste into it, with some cardboard, shredded paper and spent bedding from the chicken house (hemcore, which is dried hemp mixed with their droppings), adding some of our urine for good measure:D Unfortunately we don't have the room for the composter to be sat in full sun, so it's located behind the shed in almost perpetual gloom.

Since then, no compost has appeared to be developing when I check the bottom hatch, but it's not overflowing either, so I figured something is happening. Well...today I ran out of compost when repotting and in desperation went to the composter. Wow! Lovely, crumbly compost is there now:yho:

Everything has composted except the egg shells we always chuck in and I also found the remnants of an avocado skin. Apart from that, perfect. Delighted:)

Just wanted to share!

2. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Great stuff SG! Crunching up eggshells before adding to compost is what I've always done.

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Well done aaron-I have developed a slight obsession with the condition of my compost area. Slightly worrying is the fact that there seems to be some fabulously healthy spuds growing in it-which I will of course be digging up and using, so I can't use mine until those have been lifted. And they grew from peelings.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Now why didn't I think of doing that!:dh: Thanks, will try that from now on.

Claire, I'm sure the tatties will be fine. The Irish in you will love em!

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I certainly will-colcannon it is!!

Slightly more appetising than cabbage and ribs lol.-

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Congratulations Aaron :gnthb: Brilliant isn't it...:yho:

7. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    :rotfl:Oh dear I get quite excited about my compost heap too. What are we like?
    Claire I had potatoes growing last year and was looking forward to a bumper crop..............I got two:lollol:

8. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I to have potato shoots growing out the door of my plastic bin that are bigger then my main crop, Dont have the heart to rip them out.
    I reckon if something can grow in a hot dark composed then it deserves a chance to show what its made off
    robert

9. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    I have been pulling the potatoes out! I will leave them now :)
    I also get tomato plants- it's amazing what you find in a compost heap.

Glad you are "enjoying" your heap SussexGardener!

10. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I agree, mash all summer long in our house lol.

11. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I let them grow every year in the bin, I maybe get a Panfull, But I planted 5 salad tubers this year to see if I get more, an experiment really, there already over the top of the bin, no flowers yet tho..