1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Delphinium & Achillea

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Beachlover, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Beachlover

Beachlover Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys
    I have grown some Delphinium & Achillea from seeds this summer and not sure if I need to plant them in the ground in the autumn or overwinter in their pots in the greenhouse (not heated) & plant in the springtime any advise would be welcome.

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    How big have they got? I prefer to plant perennials in Autumn, while the soil is warm from summer but they are usually larger plants, not seedlings.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I agree with Aaron, if the plants are big enough, get them in their final positions now.:gnthb:

4. Beachlover

Beachlover Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure how big is big enough but the Delps are in 5in pots with good roots & about 6 to 8 ins high. Achillea bit smaller in 3in pots but need to be repotted into bigger ones as roots coming out bottom of pot was going to repot this weekend. Do you think these will be OK to plant in ground maybe end of Sept?

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I think the Achillea will be - they are tough and more importantly, the slugs and snails leave them alone. Once they get established, I find they need to be lifted and divided nearly every year to maintain them.

I don't do Delphiniums as the slugs like them even more than I do, so hopefully someone else will be able to advise, but they are classed as hardy perennials, so if they are bigger by the end of September, I would have thought they'd be fine. I know with Lupins, planting them in Autumn seems to harden them off sufficiently so they put on enough growth in Spring to counteract slug attacks.

6. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    As long as they have been properly hardened off I would get them in the ground on the weekend. I would treat with a liquid slug killer, this will give a few months slug protection.:gnthb:

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    What sort of liquid slug killer do you recommend David? I'm interested in that!

8. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Slugit liquid.:gnthb::gnthb: