1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Delphiniums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rosietutu, Mar 31, 2014.

1. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    Did the garden centre this morning, came back with lotsa goodies
    Decided to replace old hedge with a new fence now think I need some thing tall to cover fresh looking wood, Have bought delphiniums never grown them before, can any one can tell me the length of flowering period and any tips apart that slugs love them.
    Also got Hollyhocks and Foxgloves, shall pop in a few sunflowers in between while the get going probably wont get much of a show this year. Rosietutu

• Like Like x 3
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      so many varieties...... still trying to grow a good one the wind always gets them where I live and I hate to see giant bamboo cane holding them up .

They like full sun well drained soil and its a greedy plant so lots of manure if you can

some amazing ones from here ...

http://www.blackmore-langdon.com/category/Delphiniums

• Like Like x 2
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I'm not sure about the slug thing ... mine are up early in the Spring, relative to other things, and thus they have put on some [enough] growth before the slugs are active. But, yeah, best to start Slug Pellets on Valentines Day ... I put the first lot down at the weekend - that reminds me: must buy Mrs K some Roses and give her a kiss :heehee:

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,666
        Think you'll need some evergreen things in front of the new fence too, for winter time...

Good flowering period I think and if you have enough of them you can do the chelsea chop to extend it

Personally all of mine are always savaged by molluscs.

• rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +434
        Chelsea Chop ??? Not familiar with that one. Now I have replaced the hedge with a fence, the molluscs have no hiding place ( I hope) but am always well stocked up on slug pellets as they make a bee line for my Runner Beans/Clematis.
        Really looking forward to all the new plants this year.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        At the time of the Chelsea Flower Show (used as an aide memoire) chop down some clumps of herbaceous so that they have to grow up again - and thus those ones flower later.