1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dendrobium cuttings?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by westwales, Apr 15, 2015.

1. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    At last I've discovered an orchid I can keep and not only that, one which has thrown out new shoots. It's a Dendrobium purchased last year with 3 healthy shoots, it's now produced 5 more!

Two of the old stems looked quite dry so I decided to cut them off to allow the energy to go to the new shoots. Unfortunately, I've cut off the third old stem by mistake; that stem has lots of fresh leaves on it. I'm wondering whether I can take cuttings?

I feel quite blessed that the original plant survived let alone produce new shoots so if I could get a whole new plant that would be a huge bonus.

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    for what I have seen with my orchid, they are incredibly resilient plants...

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Dendrobium canes should root quite easily. Use orchid bark and keep the humidity high.

Dendrobium canes are monocarpic but should be left two or three years before removing as they act as a nutrient store for the young growth.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Cinnamon

Cinnamon Super Gardener

NHS
      Ratings:
      +893
      As longk says. Be nice, keep them away from too much direct sun and they'll do fine. I used to have loads when I lived in their native home. You can also use chunky vegetative bits sieved out of compost as orchid compost or old decaying broadleaf wood chips.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
        Ratings:
        +598
        Thanks everyone, I've done the best I can and will be nursing them although I think that the reason the others produced new shoots may have been neglect. They were out of the sun so I've put the new cutting right next to the parent.