1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dendrobium related help

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by KarthikC, Nov 5, 2014.

1. KarthikC

KarthikC Gardener

Sales Manager
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hello people,

Haven't been too active on the forum, sorry about that. Well, I've got a few dendrobium orchids from about two months and wanted you people to rate it's growth and tell me if it's doing good. I've kept them under shade, outdoors and water them twice a week. Their pots are completely stainable and filled with coconut husk and charcoal. Would love to hear from orchid keepers.

Cheers,
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415202447.953050.jpg
    Karthik ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415202521.035163.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Looks ok to me. Any "stems" (the correct term is cane) that have already flowered will die over a one or two year period as they are monocarpic. The important thing is that it is producing new canes. Do not cut off the old canes until they have withered up and are dry.

• Like Like x 1
    • KarthikC

KarthikC Gardener

Sales Manager
      Ratings:
      +28
      Thanks for your reply :) I will not cut off the old canes. The reason I was worried is, this orchid is a newly bought plant and hasn't yet flowered.

Cheers,

Karthik

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,371
      I think they should be indoors now as they do not like temperatures below 10c/50f and should be kept in a fairly light place. I don't have any experience with Dendrobiums, only Phaleanopsis which are treated similarly. Yours look fine to me.

• Like Like x 1
      • KarthikC

KarthikC Gardener

Sales Manager
        Ratings:
        +28
        Thanks. :) actually here in India, the winters are not that cold. Might go down to about 17-18 deg c that's it. :)

• Like Like x 1