1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Design help - Sleepers or Not? Also any gardening design apps?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Philipo51617, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Philipo51617

Philipo51617 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

I'm trying to plan design my garden and wondering whether to use sleepers or not. In the picture below there is a bit of a drop from the paving slabs into were my flower bed will be.

The stakes in front of the house are 3ft away from the slabs and where my turf would start.

My question is, should i put a sleeer right up against the slabs to try and make it look a bit nicer, or just leave it as soil....and should i have a sleepers going around the rest of my turf (marked where the rest of the stakes are).

The paving isn't great, but unfortunately money is tight so unable to replace at the mo.....so trying to make the main garden bit look as nice as possible./

Also, can anyone recommend any decent garden design apps?
    Many Thanks

Attached Files:

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, I've used sleepers and they've served my purpose. My borders are all higher than my narrow paths by a good 12" or so so the sleepers have kept the paths clear, to a degree, of soil falling onto the paths. I guess it all depends on what character or garden you want.:dunno:
    upload_2020-4-28_18-58-4.png

3. Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
    +491
    I certainly wouldn't bother next to the slabs. However I would get the edges cemented more solidly, otherwise you risk the slabs getting kicked out of place.

As for the rest, it's up to you. Sleepers are relatively expensive though, so I wouldn't use them unless whatever you're doing needs to be structurally strong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Philipo51617

Ratings:
      +5
      new to gardening so inital low maintenance i imagine and build from there.

• Like Like x 1
      • Philipo51617

Ratings:
        +5
        thanks Graham it was more for design as opposed to anything structural for the sleepers

• Like Like x 1
        • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
          +491
          If you're wanting more definite edges on an area, what you probably want is gravel boards instead. Similar idea, but thinner wood and a *lot* cheaper. Personally I prefer the edge of the turf as-is, but I've seen enough people who use gravel boards. You can also get plastic edging, usually corrugated, but I think that looks a bit like a council flowerbed and I don't want that for my place.

• Like Like x 2