1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Desperate help with Hawthorn pruning.

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Mamashoe, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Mamashoe

Mamashoe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I've uploaded 3 photos of my hawthorn. I've been here for 7 years and I doubt the previous owners ever did anything with it either. It is gnarled and over crowded in the middle. I've looked things up but I am still unsure on how to go about it :help:. I know hawthorns are pretty hardy but I don't want to risk damaging it as the birds just love this tree. Can I cut off all the twiggy bits first so I can get a better idea of what I'm dealing with and also take some from the top as I don't want it getting too tall (it just gets burnt from the wind anyway) I need to get some space in the centre but really don't know where to start. It's down to me...no dosh for tree surgeon I'm afraid. :noidea:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks hawthorn1.jpg hawthorn2.jpg hawthorn1.jpg hawthorn 3.jpg hawthorn1.jpg

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Hawthorn is as tough as old boots. In fact by pruning it you will actually be helping it rather than harming it. Even if you chopped it right down so just a foot of the truck is left (I'm not suggesting you do that), it would just send out loads of new shoots next spring.

There's no wonder hawthorn has been the species of choice for hedgerows for about 2000 years. It actually thrives from being pruned and just comes back thicker.

Thin it and top it at your leisure, it will be fine. Only when doing so, I'd suggest you take off more than you initially think necessary as it will work very hard to replace everything you chop off, so it will just thicken up.

Leaving it alone completely is not really a good idea with hawthorn. What tends to happen is the old wood becomes brittle and mouldy and doesn't produce much foliage, and it turns into a tangled mess. I'm sure it evolved to be nibbled and hacked.:)

3. fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +421
    Thin it as you would like it look,hawthorn is better well cut back.or thinned out. If you get into the country side just notice how rough they look after the farmer has cut them with these hedge flails that are on the back of tractors.When you get the shape you want just cut it as a normal hedge.When I was on the farms some years ago these were cut by hand with slashers and shear's. If the hedge was too tall they would cut back the side's,pick out the best thick long length 's ,chop them half way through with an axe and them gently lower them onto the ground,and them each year after just trim the side and top till they got to what height they wanted.you had a good hedge within 3 to 4 years.

4. Mamashoe

Mamashoe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    :hapfeet:Thank you so much. What a relief! I will get on to it tomorrow and look forward to seeing a healthier tree next year...and will be able to get to/reach those awful caterpillars that have plagued it for the last two years. Not that it seems to harm the tree but boy do they make you come out in blisters if one falls on you!