Desperate to grow double hollyhocks!

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Shaneoak, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hi!

I've been wanting to grow or have double hollyhocks that grow to 5 foot tall especially the scarlet variety and white! I have ALWAYS failed in getting them to bloo,. germinate etc. I brought 25 once as plug plants , they grey to 1 foot and neber bloomed and just faded. I've just brought these seeds' Hollyhock - Summer Carnival Mixed - 320 Flower Seeds'.

I've really struggled to get hold of potted hollyhock plants . Just don't seem to have any in the garden centres or online. So, any tips would be great,
    Any tips on how best to get them to germinate?
    Is there a service where you can just give your seeds to someone and they will raise them for you into strong plug plants?
    I think these will bloom next year if plant them now,

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +20,951
      @Shaneoak
      I've grown hollyhocks since I was at school and never really had a problem with them. They are biennial/short lived perennials, some varieties are prone to rust. Currently I have "Creme de Cassis" in a couple of spots in the garden these have been around about four years now and when I notice they've died out I'll start some more off.
      I sow the seed in spring time in a seed tray, onto some moist potting compost cover with grit or grit/perlite mix and keep in a cold greenhouse out of full sun. Prick out into a more roomy tray or small pots, harden off and place outside to grow on. I then plant them out early summer and leave them to get on with it.
      You can sow in summer and plant out in autumn; not something I've tried though.
      Sorry I cannot give you any more specific advice for your situation.

• Like Like x 1
      • blackstart

blackstart Gardener

Ratings:
        +105
        • Like Like x 1
        • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
          Ratings:
          +76
          Thank you i'll give these a shot