1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Desperately need help with a Mantis Tiller

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Rob Nolan, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Rob Nolan

Rob Nolan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, new to the forum and i have a mantis 2-stroke tiller. I've had no end of problems getting to even this point with it but Im hoping the money i've spent on it so far will not have been in vain with the help of you clever people!

So, I was given this tiller by a family member who'd bought a new 4-stroke one, it needed a new carburettor, so i bought a new carb for it (not an original, but a 3rd party one.)

So I fitted this, and went to fit the cabling, found it doesnt quite fit and theres a lot of play in the cable so the carb cant be fully opened up...

Next, the throttle lever was broken, so i order a replacement throttle arm with arrived today. I've fitted that, and found that with this cable there is even more play on the cable where the metal 90 deg pipe at the end should fit to the carb screws, plus the on/off switch lead has a flat fitting, as opposed to a round plug fitting and is further up the cable than expected so i dont think it will stretch to fit properly anyway....

Is there anyway I can get this thing working again without spending more money on it!

HEEEELPPPP!

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    :sign0016: to GC @Rob Nolan
    Have I understood correctly: you replaced the carb with another make (?) and the cabling doesn't quite fit so the carb cannot be fully opened up: is that correct? :scratch:

You've fitted a new throttle arm ... was that a Mantis one or a 3rd party one? :noidea:

I have a Mantis Tiller and, for me, it was an "investment" purchase while I had a large garden. To be fair, any replacement parts I think I would have stuck with the brand: it's a "get what you pay for" kind of deal, in my opinion. Plus, I would have had the Mantis helpline to fall back on.

Hopefully one of our members will be able to give you some advice to help you get it going (other than mine that you should use authentic parts :redface: ).

Good luck RN :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,046
      There must be a way of adjusting the cable - what's stopping you taking up the slack?

Hope this helps: Mantis Manual (see page 35)

• Informative Informative x 2
      • maria

maria Gardener

Ratings:
        +864
        welcome:) but its all like a foreign language to me so cant help:rofllol:

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,629
          I've got a 2 stroke one, had it about 10 yrs.
          I'd only ever use spare parts from Mantis, if you dont, surely you are asking for trouble,.

You can call them, between 11.00 -12.00am and 3.00 -4.00pm on week days and speak to a technician on 08009 88 48 28.

• Like Like x 1