1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Dianthus questions...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Paul Sanderson, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Paul Sanderson

Paul Sanderson Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi all. A few questions about my dianthus...

Within literally 3-4 days one of my dianthus has literally been reduced to this...

[​IMG]

There are no signs of critters on it at all. Gets the sun most or the day and certainly hasn't been over watered.

Secondly, can I split one of my other dianthus? If not, when's best to take cuttings??

[​IMG]

Thanks once again!

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you had a fair bit of rain? They don't take kindly to getting their flowers wet..Just dead head them:blue thumb:

If it's a single plant that's in the pot then I don't think you can split it but if you can find non flowering side shoots you can take cuttings now:dbgrtmb:

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    The flowers have finished which is why they have gone like that. Remove the dead ones and you may well get a second flush. Division is not easy, but it can be done when flowering has finished. Otherwise cuttings may be taken any time there are non-flowering shoots.

4. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
  5. Paul Sanderson

Paul Sanderson Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers guys. We have had a lot of rain the last 2 days - a helluvalot of rain :)

Will take cuttings from none flowering shoots first thing tomorrow morning then. Cheers!