1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Did I just dodge a cowboy's bullet?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Oldcodger, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Oldcodger

Oldcodger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +25
    Over 2 days, I've seen a small lorry with a wood chip trailer behind, parked a few hundred metres from my house, and from the sound of it was chipping something.

Cowboy, dressed in a green uniform, knocks on my door and after initial introductions including him saying that he's working for a neighbour, he says that there's a crack in a branch on my willow tree. We go round the back and he points out a 80 mm diameter branch at about 4 m height and 4 m length, that he says has a crack in it. Then he notices a 30 mm diameter branch at just over 2 m height, bends it through about 120 degrees and of course it brakes, saying look its dead. I knew it was not good, and after he was gone I checked it and the break was sound, although 0.5 m away from the break there was a 20 mm diameter twig showing evidence of dead wood in a third of it's diameter. He then noticed and points to the ends of branches that my neighbour had cut, saying look there's more evidence of dead wood. They had been cut a few years ago and I suppose the ends could be rotten. I've got much more serious problems on my mind than these, so we discuss prices, he says £450 with a receipt, or £250 for cash, I say that I've haven't got any cash, he says go to a cash machine, I say no, he says alright I'll lower it to £200, and at that I say I'm not interested and he left.
    There is another tree in my garden that looks like a birch but it's not silver, and he didn't know what it was, so he's not much of a tree surgeon, but certainly seems like a cowboy to me?

It later occurred to me that if he had actually been in my neighbour's garden, then he would have seen what he called "dead" branches and pointed them out to me first, and unless the "crack" is open then he would find it difficult to see anyway. However, I obviously need to have a good look at it.

I intend to put a ladder up to the trunk and check the branches, I will cut though at least one or two of the lower branches that he says are "dead" to check for dead wood: the branches are superfluous anyway. I've have an extension ladder that extends to about 10 m so no problem.

One other thing that he said, was that the branchlets which hang down and are about 4 m long should not be dragging on the ground, and should be cut some distance above the ground, is that true?

Can someone please advise the ideal number of teeth for a tree saw? I bought a cheap tipped B&Q saw to cut fibreglass in my parents loft, later I used it to cut a piece of wood and it went through like I was cutting butter, so I will buy one of those again.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,630
      Yeah, never use anyone who just turns up on your doorstep, they try to make you feel insecure, if your worried about the tree get a tree surgeon to come round and have a look at it.

As to a saw, I always use a bow saw, its amazing if you use it properly the size of branch you can get through and safer than a chainsaw if your not used to one.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,541
        You were right to send the man away. Last year I had a Sycamore and a Scots Pine removed, both trees were sixty feet plus in height and the stumps were dug out mechanically too. The whole job was less than £300. It's best to use someone that has been recommended if possible, unless of course you can do the job yourself.

• Agree Agree x 5
        • Like Like x 2
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,852
          I bet Inland Revenue would like they're names :sofa: £450 > £200 for cash

• Like Like x 3
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,944
            Had a similar issue in Fleet in our old house. My husband thought they were genuine :wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging: I wasn't there to tell them to sling their 'ook unfortuntely. They had a van, chipper and business cards with mobile numbers and advertised as acredited tree surgeons etc. They started work whilst my husband was working from home, he then had to go into London so left, and so did they. He had given them some cash and said he'd give them the rest when he got home....they never finished the work and left!!!! Did us a favour though as they cut a wrong tree down:gaah: (one in the back of our neighbours garden (it was soooo overgrown and a mess)...luckily it was easier to ask for forgiveness than permission on that occasion.:dunno:

• Like Like x 2
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,315
              We have a couple of willow trees in our garden and they can survive a long time and get pretty big. Our big one was planted in 1953 and is still going strong. I've just grabbed a picture Of it that I knew where it was kept on my computer and it shows how big they can get (photo from 2007).

245_4534.JPG

They're tough old trees and the branches get quite brittle. So when he grabbed one and broke it it doesn't surprise me. That doesn't mean to say it's a problem. If your tree is big and the branches you want to cut are quite thick then just be careful about them splitting on you whilst you're only halfway through the wood. They can give you a nasty whack.

They have a lot of dead wood form on them and loads of the thin dangly branches drop throughout the year but mainly in Autumn. The bit about the branches shouldn't touch the ground is a load of rubbish. They are weeping willows so that is their natural form. As the branches get heavier with leaf during the growing season they weigh down the long 'branchlets' but don't do any harm to the tree. They can, of course, damage your lawn if they are dragging on it all the time but the grass quickly recovers. Some people cut those branchlets and I do because they get in our way when we're walking beneath the tree.

I don't like the look of just shearing them off in a straight line (some people just take the hedge cutter to them!) and cut mine with secateurs. I grab a bunch of the danglies, pull them downwards, cut through them and then they bounce back up and go higher than before because the weight of the leaves has come off them.

P1120535.JPG

It gives a more natural look and it makes it easy to walk underneath and to mow.

I love willows but they drop their leaves all through the season. That photo was taken in May. So don't think the tree is having a problem just because it's dropping leaves in the growing season.

I really wouldn't worry about it much but if you're not sure then get a locally recommended tree surgeon to have a look at it.

• Like Like x 5
              • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +9,233
                Another thought (at a tangent, as that is how I’m ticking, right now).

Those long, dangling stems of willow that you want to trim back? Do you have an independent florist nearby, or maybe evening classes doing flower-arranging? They might be delighted to have some of those stems, would be happy to come and take them from you, and you would know they are going to be used and enjoyed!
                The long whippy stems can be wound around in a circle, and then around each other, to form the base for a wreath. Many years ago I used to do some gardening for a property which had a weeping willow. I made wreath bases, and Christmas wreaths from the stems.... oh to have a source of willow-stems near here!!

• Like Like x 1
                  Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
                • Oldcodger

Ratings:
                  +25
                  A pic of my tree today:-

IMG_1782.JPG

It looks a bit sad but the branchlet on the right is about 4 metres long.

• Informative Informative x 1
                  • Oldcodger

Ratings:
                    +25
                    Thanks pete, I have a bit of trouble with my right thumb, so holding a bow saw may be tricky. However, it got me thinking, and I have a tower that I use for decorating which probably can reach 4 metres and so it would be a safe way to get at the so called "cracked branch" AND if I decide to saw it off, I can use the tower to support the offcut.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Oldcodger

Ratings:
                      +25
                      Yesh, if I see his lorry about, I will make a note of his name and have a word with the IR.

• Oldcodger

Ratings:
                      +25
                      1. Another good reason to use my decorating tower to support the branch while cutting it. See my 2nd reply before this reply.

2. Yeah, I was a bit worried this year as my willow didn't stop shedding twigs until July, and I was filling my green bin every 2 weeks, so much so that I was concerned that it was dying. Hence the branchlets are much more sparse now, the canopy is not so dense as in previous years, and the tree is not so attractive now. I wonder if that occurred because we had very little rain and it was starved of water?

3. Thanks for that info. Cowboy obviously gave me a made up term, that I can't remember, for cutting the branchlets back!