1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Digging up and replanting daffodile, iris and tulip bulbs

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by MissAgapanthus, Apr 22, 2015.

1. MissAgapanthus

MissAgapanthus Gardener

Architect
    Ratings:
    +56
    My dear Gardening Friends,

Again this apprentice gardener requires your help.
    Earlier this year I impulse bought some iris, tulip and daffodils plants and swiftly planted them in my southwest facing raised bed. The heavy untouched clay soil had been dug through and supplemented with compost last year before planting some tropical plants in it. We then removed the plants that had perished over winter :(
    My plan for this bed is a Monty Don style Jewel Garden in miniature format.
    I am also hoping to reposition the irises, daffodiles and tulips and form little clusters of them, making more room for the array of plants I have planned to plant.
    Whilst the daffodiles and irises have finished flowering. I have removed their flowers but left the leaves. The tulips haven't done very well and to my great disappointment only one is in bloom.
    I have been respectfully advised by Woo to dig up two of the roses that I planted in there that haven't flowered and replant them at a deeper level. Leaving just one of the roses where she is. I am planning to do this this weekend as well as planting my dhalias which are currently hardening off.
    My question to you is can I dig up the irises, daffodiles and tulips this weekend and replant them. Or will this disturb them in gathering the resources for next year's bloom.
    Any other advice, especially what I can do to help my tulip bulbs along next year would be micy appreciated.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,594
    You should leave all the bulbs to die back naturally and gather nutrients in the process, this could take some weeks though.

Sorry Miss Agapanthus, I can't help you with the tulips I've never grown them.

• Like Like x 1
    • MissAgapanthus

MissAgapanthus Gardener

Architect
      Ratings:
      +56
      Thank you Sneak for your response.
      Yrs, that's what I thought the answer would be although I hope it wasn't. I'll leave them in peace for now then.
      Maybe a tulip expert will pop by later.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Cinnamon

Cinnamon Super Gardener

NHS
        Ratings:
        +893
        Although I agree with Sheal that it's better to wait, it's certainly possible to transplant daffodils 'in the green' while you can see/remember what you've got where. I watched the owner of this place, http://www.doddingtonhall.com/doddington-gardens.php
        whose daffodils were featured on Gardeners World a couple of years ago, go around digging up daffodils in spring and heeling them into new sites.

Be careful not to have your clusters too closely planted, as they will need room to expand.

• Like Like x 1
        • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,523
          I'm feeding my tulips with a seaweed feed in the hope they will perform well next year too. I got it from amazon. Species tulips are supposed to be more long lasting and prolific than the taller varieties.

• Like Like x 1
          • MissAgapanthus

MissAgapanthus Gardener

Architect
            Ratings:
            +56
            Thank you for your advice. It's much appreciated.
            I'll be careful not to plant them to close to each other.
            When I say cluster I just mean grouping them a bit more. At the moment I have them dotted about. One daffodil, one iris, one tulip, one daffodil...sort of thing. I've just realised it looks more natural to have a couple of each type a bit closer to each other.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +21,323
            I would leave the daffodils until the leaves start to go yellow and then move them. The tulips probably discard them and get new bulbs in the autumn. As CharlieBot said species tulips last longer in the garden. Irises I'm not sure but probably move at the same time as the daffodils.

• Like Like x 1
            • MissAgapanthus

MissAgapanthus Gardener

Architect
              Ratings:
              +56
              Ok. That's two for leaving them for now. So that's what I will do.
              I could Gove the seaweed a try. And I'll look for species bulbs next year.