Digital TV to Analog.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mike Allen, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    I'd appreciate some help please. In the past I like many other guys would mess about with constructing electrical gadgets and bits and bobs for the car. Now I have to admit. The old grey matter is giving up.

I'd like to be able to use my analogue video recorder to tape programs from the TV. TV now of course uses digital signals. I am very confused. For instance. I have a Samsung sound bar system attached to the TV. I play DVD's via this. Regarding DVD's. Some will play on the TV or Samsung and also on the computer, others wont.

I wonder if for instance my Samsung sound bar system might also record onto a DVD. As you can see. Mike is in a bit of a pickle.

2. misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,770
    You haven't provided enough details.

For specific advice, please provide hardware device model numbers and, if possible, pictures of the input/output connectors on those devices.

But, in general, you may just need to acquire a Freeview digibox which can output to an analogue tv. You would then connect the digibox directly to the vcr to be able to record tv programmes.

• Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi @Mike Allen ,

Make life easy and simple, get yourself a modern Freeview Play recorder.

They take your aerial signal and can record 3 or more programs/channels at once while feeding your TV with another channel to watch live.

These units are controlled by a remote and it has a menu system displayed on your tv, it can take a little bit of getting used to, but well worth it as we find we watch very little live TV, just recording the programs that interest us and watching them when we want, plus you can fast forwards over the adverts ! :)

Simply no contest over video tape recorders.

Humax FVP-5000T Freeview Play Recorder

Humax direct also offer refurbished models which both us and our neighbours have bought and found they looked like new, still working fine.

Freeview Play Recorder FVP-5000T 500GB (Refurbished)

Another option if your ISP has a TV package , eg like Virgin, then they provide you, included in the package price, a recorder box that does the same thing, which can work out as good value as if it goes wrong its down to them to put right at no extra cost to you, just your monthly subscription.

As @misterQ mentions, it does help if you have a more modern TV that has a HDMI input connection ?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1